Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





12 December 2010

Four Month Appointment

Klaasen was 23 pounds, 2 ounces and 27 3/4 inches long at his last appointment. Our pediatrician said that he's a perfect breasted baby! They should gain all of their weight in the first three months and then start plateau-ing off. She was impressed with his sitting skills and not one bit worried that he can't roll over, yet. She was okay with him sleeping on his tummy and didn't mind that I don't give him vitamins (do any of you breastfeeding moms do vitamins?). Because of his weight, we decided to wait on starting food until five or six months.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

2 comments:

  1. Kara-
    I didn't give Charlotte any vitamins when she was a breastfed baby, but now I have decided that I will give vitamin D to my next babies. At the time I was kind of insulted that someone would suggest my breastmilk wasn't enough, but at some point I realized that we don't live in an ideal climate. Vitamin D is made by your body when exposed to sunlight, but in MN we don't get enough sunlight in the winter, and in the summer we put sunscreen on or cover up all exposed skin on our babies. So I think vitamin D supplementation is actually a good idea for any breastfed baby (as well as most adults in MN in the winter!). As far as other vitamins go, I typically don't do anything else. Let me know if you want any more info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of giving babies vitamins. The vitamin D one makes sense but I don't see myself getting around to it any time soon:) I still take a prenatal vitamin every day.

    Marin isn't even close to rolling over yet, but she can sit up pretty well. She gets plenty of tummy time so I don't worry about it. She has her 4 month appointment tomorrow. I'm guessing 20lbs:)

    We're holding off on solids until 6 months b/c of some allegery research we read about how the intestines form and because I prefer breastmilk poo;)

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin