Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





15 February 2012

Valentines Day 2012 Recap


We had a very nice Valentine's Day!  It didn't go exactly as planned, but it was a special day for our little family and it felt good to enjoy the day, despite the circumstances.

Very Sick Klaasen
We woke up early yesterday morning to Klaasen throwing up all over his bedroom.  I had known that he didn't feel good the day before, but I really wasn't prepared for this!  He continued to vomit all morning, about every half hour.  Erik was at conference, so I texted him and he agreed that I should take him in since we had been suspicious of an ear infection.  I called our pediatrician and he could get us right in. I quick got in the shower, gave Klaasen a bath, got the kids dressed, and we were out the door.

Even though Erik couldn't come to help us at the doctor (it's always interesting when I have to bring all three of them!), I was so appreciative of Erik's communication with me during the morning and his willingness to help out.  Luckily, our pediatrician has a volunteer who hangs out in the waiting room and helps families pass the time while they wait.  She saw that I had my hands full and was able to give Skogen and Maida pages to color and stickers to play with.  Then she sat down and read Klaasen a book.  It was very nice to have her help.  We saw our pediatrician fairly quickly and it was established that Klaasen's right ear was inflamed and full of puss.  He prescribed amoxicilin and said that if he didn't stop puking within a few hours, to call him on his cell phone and he'd prescribe us some Zofran to help him stop puking so that he could keep his medicine down.  He also gave us some Pedialyte popsicles, told me to break one up in a cup and let it slowly melt.  As it melts, let Klaasen drink the liquid and that's about the right amount for him to be drinking while he's puking, so that he doesn't just throw it right back up.  I'm not really explaining it very well, but I thought that was an awesome idea and hope I remember to use it again!

McFlurry Face Skogen
Erik was able to fill the prescription for me and I was off to bring Maida to her preschool Valentine's party, but not before we grabbed lunch in the McDonald's drive through.  On the way to Maida's school, Klaasen fell asleep.  So, after dropping Maida off, Skogen and I decided to drive back to McDonald's and get a McFlurry for a Valentine's treat (and also to keep Klaasen sleeping as long as we could).  We got our ice cream in the drive through and ate in the car.  Skogen and I smiled and giggled and had a nice time together until Klaasen woke up and puked all over the car!  Yet another bath for that poor little boy!

Yummy Waffle!
Erik helped out by picking Maida up from preschool on his way home so that I didn't have to haul a puking baby with me to get her, and then I started on making some dinner. Skogen and Erik ran to the store to look at some glasses (Erik's have been broken for years) and for some last minute things for dinner.  I found a new recipe for waffles a few days ago, so I decided to give them a try.  They were so yummy! (I'll put the recipe below.)  We cut up some blueberries and strawberries to put on top and completed the meal with some whip cream and a drizzle of syrup.  It was the perfect Valentine's dinner!  :)  Skogen and Daddy bought me a flower at the store, which was our table centerpiece (Maida's idea).  I enjoyed my dinner dates and all the laughs and smiles we had.

Our Valentine's Dinner (Daddy had other plans that were canceled because of the sick boy)
After dinner we did some clean up and then put the boys in the bath since they were full of syrup.  We also called Erik's grandma, who shares a birthday with Valentine's Day, and we sang her Happy Birthday.  Then we got in our pajamas and played a few games.  First Skogen made up a "Valentine Frog Hopping Game."  We all had to hop around the room like frogs.  We did this until we accidentally started jumping on each other.  Then we played Maida's made up game called, "Duck Duck Valentine Goose."  It was a very crazy game of Duck Duck Goose that didn't last long since there were only four of us.  Last, we played the game that I made up.  We sat around in a circle on the floor and took turns telling each other what we love about each other.  It was such a precious, fun time and it will for sure be a Valentine tradition in our family from now on.  I recorded down everything that we said and thought it would be fun to write it all on the blog so that we always have it...

Daddy Love...
-  "I really love his old Daddy.  I really want him to be my kids' Bumpa when I grow up."  (She refers to the way Erik used to be before he got hurt as "old Daddy".) ~ Maida
-  "I love the monster truck from Daddy.  I love that Daddy sleeps in Mommy's room and when Daddy takes me skiing."  ~ Skogen
-  "I love that he loves me more and different than anyone else ever has.  I love how he's always willing to sacrifice for his family."  ~ Mommy

Maida Love...
 -  "I love her beautiful smile, gorgeous hair, incredible intelligence, and spunky determination.  I also love how she tries to protect Skogen and Klaasen when they get in trouble."  ~ Daddy
-  "I love that you are the little girl and the princess I always dreamed of having."  ~ Mommy
-  "Her bedroom." ~ Skogen

Mommy Love...
-  "That you read a lot of books to me, help me sound out words, and you are the best mom in the whole wide world I ever had.  I love your hair and your white skin all around you."  ~ Maida
-  "The baby growing in your tummy."  ~ Skogen
-  "I love her servant heart, her beautiful body, and that she's the best mother and wife that God ever made!"  ~ Daddy

Skogen Love...
"He's the best  brother in the whole world.  He takes care of me when I'm sad, when I cry, and when I'm scared.  I thought he would never be a good brother, but when he grew up, he was a great brother."  ~ Maida
-  "I love his curly hair and his fearless attitude.  I like his abundance of energy and I like his lack of self preservation and how he's always a good helper."  ~ Daddy
 -  "I love that you're always trying to take care of me and that you are my big helper and how you're so full of love."  ~ Mommy

Klaasen Love...
-  "That Klaasie sleeps in my room."  ~ Skogen
-  "His curly hair and I love him and I like it that he says, "Skogo cray," when Skogen cries or I cry.  I always wanted a baby brother like him and I love that I take care of him and that he grows up to be the best baby brother in the whole wide world."  ~ Maida
-  "I love that he likes to snuggle and I love that his love language is touch.  I love his rotund stature and that he really tries to be like his big brother and sister."  ~ Daddy
- "I love how he shows us love in his own way.  I love how he was the biggest baby in the entire world.  I love what a great addition he's been to our family."  ~ Mommy


Good night hugs and kisses ended the day so perfectly.  I never knew I'd love anyone as much as I love these three kids and I had no idea that a marriage was ever as great as what Erik and I have.  We've been blessed.

Our Valentines

***

Waffle Recipe

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  •  
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups milk
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

  1. Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
  2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together in a mixing bowl; set aside. Beat egg whites until foamy in a separate large glass or metal mixing bowl. Whisk the egg yolks, lemon zest, and vanilla extract together in a third bowl; whisk in the milk. Stir in the flour mixture until smooth. Fold in the melted butter and then the beaten egg whites until just incorporated.
  3. Cook the waffles according to manufacturer's instructions until golden brown.

4 comments:

  1. So Kara...when Skogen says he loves the baby growing in your tummy, does this mean you are having baby #4? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "her boobs" - hahaha!

    What sweet children you! And what a great way to celebrate Valentine's Day by sharing what you love about each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. baby growing in tummy? DId I miss something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, Alisha! That is what I said initially, but I didn't expect to see it on the blog! I changed it, but it doesn't mean the former is less true. :)

    Also, I think Kara forgot that there really hasn't been any 'official' announcement, yet! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin