Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





31 December 2014

Christmas 2014

After Thanksgiving, I turned the calendar to December and I about had a heart attack!  Between Erik's work Christmas parties, class Christmas plays, class Christmas parties, and Christmas concerts, I was wore out just thinking about it all!  The month went pretty smoothly, thanks to my parents who were able to come and help me, but I couldn't help but think, how will I survive when I have four kids in school??!!!

Christmas Parties with Erik



Klaasen's preschool Christmas concert

Klaasen had been practicing his Christmas concert songs for weeks, but never sang one word of his songs during the concert.  He stood in the front row on stage, hands in his pockets, dancing and swinging to every song.  He was very into the music, not so much into the singing part.  



Maida's 2nd grade Christmas concert

 Maida takes her concerts VERY seriously.  Unlike her brother, she sang every word of the songs, with lots of expression and focus.  She was proud to have Bumpa and Grandma in town for the concert and enjoyed cookies and punch afterward.


Skogen's kindergarten class play


Skogen was a peacock in his kindergarten class Christmas play, "Who is Coming to our House?"
"I chose to be the peacock in the play because it was the most beautiful animal and I wanted to be beautiful for you, mom"
Unfortunately, Skogen decided to be very stubborn that morning and refused to get into his costume.  The boys and I, who had gone to watch, almost had to just leave him to the teachers to deal with and go.  At the last minute, though, he pulled through and did a great job!

Klaasen's preschool class Christmas party

I joined Klaasen's class for their Christmas party.  We decorated Christmas cookies, made beaded candy canes, and played Christmas Bingo!  I enjoy seeing Klaasen interact with his friends and it's great to see him excelling in good behavior in school, too!


Skogen's class Christmas party
I was in charge of planning and putting on Skogen's class party.  I did a snowman theme and then ended with a story and craft about Christ's birth.  I love that our kids attend a Christian school where they are taught about God and celebrate Jesus every day.  It is such a blessing!







Christmas cookie making

We made our traditional Christmas cookie cutouts!  Grammy was here to join in the fun of making them and Aunie Kimmy was here to help decorate!


The Polar Express movie night

Every year I give the kids an early Christmas present.  Inside this present is a pair of pajamas and a ticket to ride the Polar Express.  We drink hot chocolate and watch the movie with popcorn!  It's been a big hit for the past several years, but this year it didn't seem to have much magic.  The kids have lost interest in the movie and although it has a wonderful and touching story of believing, I think we'll try to switch things up next year.

Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and travels up north
We welcomed lots of visitors into our house on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!  I really appreciate our family being understanding of a resident's life and not expecting us to travel away from home.  Through residency, it has been important to me to be with Erik on Christmas, even if we only get to see him for a few hours.  Because of my commitment to this, my family has volunteered to travel to be with us on several holidays over the past four years.  This Christmas, my parents came from northern Minnesota, my sister came from Arizona, and my brother and his family came from Kansas.



After Christmas, we traveled up to my parents' house for a few days.  There we met up with another one of my brothers and his family.  He has three daughters, who are very very special to my kids.  It was fun to be with them for a few days.

I had a really great time crafting with my sister while she was in town.  One night around 11pm, we went to Walmart for some things for a craft we were making.  While we were there, the store caught on fire!!!  Here we are with the smoke rolling down the aisle behind us.  At the time, we laughed at our luck, but after we took this picture and we went home, I was ashamed.  I was ashamed that we would laugh at someone else's misfortune.  I'm thankful that no real damage was done to the store.


Christmas 2014 was busy, but blessed.  My favorite part was receiving cards from friends and family!  I especially loved the picture cards.  We may just leave them hanging in our kitchen all year long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin