Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





02 December 2008

Thanksgiving

After attending the Thanksgiving celebration at my parents' house last week, I have begun to realize that my family is even cooler than I thought! I could not believe the work and effort that went into the cooking of all the food, the decorations, the costumes, the talent show, the competitions, and everything else which makes our family Thanksgivings the best ever!


My mom's side of the family has a big family Thanksgiving every two years. When I say "big" I mean B-I-G. We always have a theme and everyone comes in costume. We also always have a talent show, in which almost everyone (of all ages) participates. Added to the celebration are little games and fun competitions. Our Thanksgiving parties usually last two or three days (since almost everyone drives about 1,000 miles or more to get there!) and are really enjoyed by everyone.

This year the theme was the 50's and we were supposed to come in costume, which consisted of poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and scarves for the girls. And letter sweaters or letter jackets, rolled up jeans, and slicked back hair with sideburns for the guys. Some of us even wore our old high school colors and my aunt Becky got really creative and instead of having a poodle skirt, she had a "panther skirt" which had a panther on it (her high school mascot) instead of a poodle. We had a hula hoop contest, best costume contest, jitter bug contest, best talent contest, and the annual North verses the South soccer tournament in the snow. Special to this year was also the lighting of the tree ceremony down town Park Rapids and a geocache treasure hunt all over town!

We have about 400 pictures from the weekend, but I tried to narrow it down to a hundred or so which I've put here. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Didn't I spend a Thanksgiving with you and your family one year. I just remember meeting a lot of your family members and putting on a talent show. It was so much fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin