Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





14 March 2013

Our Happy Reality

Being married to a resident is such a unique life.  At times I don't feel married at all!  I feel as if I'm a single mom with a roommate who's laundry, cooking, and cleaning I have to do.  Erik has no consistent work schedule or predictable time at home.  He pops in and right back out again.  The kids go days without seeing or talking to Erik and the only way I see him is if I'm willing to sacrifice sleep to see him (whether it's early in the morning, late at night, or even in the middle of the night).  I regularly find myself sitting on the bathroom floor while he showers (at all hours of the day or night) because this is my only time to talk to him.  I love and cherish every phone call I receive from him or every text he sends (which, isn't very often because he doesn't get service in the hospital).  I long to share our kids' lives with him - their happiness, their achievements, what they've learned in school, or how they've grown - but there is no time for that.  I often wonder what it would be like to have a husband who is home every evening for dinner.  And what it would be like to have help with the dishes or putting the kids to bed?    
Of course, there are those rotations that are lighter than others, or surprise days off, and when Erik can, he always pitches in wherever he is able.  I'm always amazed at how it doesn't matter how long Erik is away from the kids or how much quality time has passed in between, the kids are always happy and excited to see him and they seem to pick up right where they've left off.  I've realized that it's not always about the little details (he doesn't need to know that Skogen now wears the same size shoe as Maida or that Maida can now almost read any book she picks up).  My kids have taught me that what matters is being happy and content with our reality.  I am so thankful for what we have and that Erik is able to receive some of the best training possible from one of the best hospitals around. No matter how stressful or tiresome life is right now, I hope I will look back on these days and see happiness.

A picture update from the past two weeks...

Someone is getting up on all fours!  It won't be long until I will need to baby proof the house!

At Bounce World for a friends' birthday party!  They all four had the best time!
The birthday boy's (in the Spider Man shirt) dad is a resident with Erik in the ED.
I've decided (at 29.5 years old!) to start making my bed everyday.  It's amazing how good a made bed can make you feel!
I do a lot of laundry!  I do, at the very least, 16 extra large loads per week (that does not include the cloth diapers that I wash every-other night).
I love these three little guys, even when they are ALWAYS getting into things. Lately Klaasen and Skogen have decided that it's fun to pee and poop on things.  My 16 load laundry week turned into a 20 load in just a matter of a few hours.

Ice cream at Costco!  Always a treat (and a mess!).
It's nice to be down to only three kids every afternoon when Maida goes to kindergarten, but I miss her when she's gone.  I have seriously considered homeschooling, but then remind myself that I'm busy enough as it is.  :)

Torsten got his first bottle of pumped breast milk last week.  He took the first half alright, but then just kept throwing the bottle across the room.  I was hoping he'd start taking a bottle so that I could get some time away from him every now-and-then.  We'll see if that actually happens.  Last week our babysitter called us home early and left in tears - our kids were OUT OF CONTROL.  We might be shopping for a new sitter before I'm able to enjoy some time away from the house...

Some things never change!  Maida has lived in highheels and a tutu since before she was walking!

Torsten playing with his best friend, Nolan.  They are six days apart and really starting to interact! Nolan's Daddy is a resident  too.

My favorite series of pictures of Maida and Torsten...


Torsten is such a little lover.  Always full of kisses!

Check out Torsten's thighs!  They are about as big as his five-year-old sister's! Wow! Mama makes whole milk!

3 comments:

  1. Aw, I love this post! A great reminder to enjoy the moment - whatever set of moments God has given us. I often wonder what it'd be like to have a "normal" schedule, but our schedule is our normal and has a lot of fun perks (including a husband who loves his job:). You are amazing! And busy!

    And I LOVE that the babysitter couldn't hack it. That's going to be a great story when they are older. I don't think 4 kids under 5 is all the easy for a mama who knows all their quirks, let alone an unsuspecting babysitter - hahaha. Trial by fire for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alisha! You have quite a unique life, too! I had a little taste of what it's like to have hubby gone a lot with all the traveling Erik did this summer. It's hard! You get used to doing things your own way and then Daddy comes home and just when you get used to having him there, he's gone again! Thanks for liking this post and commenting. After reading it again, I was hoping it wouldn't make Erik sound like a bad dad - cause he's not! This is just life right now and Erik has no control over it. He values the time he gets with his kids and I'm so thankful for that because he could totally just come home and sleep when he's off of work, but chooses not to. Hope you're doing well, Alisha! I just spent over an hour catching up on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Kara. I love that you are happy and content with your reality-- I am sure that attitude is speaking to your kids everyday.

    Carter has gotten to the age where he now asks if daddy is driving or flying to work--I empathize with you on being a "single" parent some weeks. Actually, the only thing that keeps me second guessing more kids is thinking, could I do this by myself?

    That is awesome that Erik gets to do his residency at Mayo--such an amazing place, I am sure all of his hard work is paying off!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin