Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





01 July 2015

June 2015 in pictures

 June brought many smiles, but it also brought some tears.  It was an especially challenging month for me because Erik was with the Army for three of the weeks, making me a single mom day in and day out.  It was also challenging because I found a lump on my right breast, which led to many tests, and a biopsy. We kept busy with tennis, soccer, and baseball, which was every morning and night of the week except for Fridays.  I can't imagine summertime being any different, though, and I am thankful for these four kids who keep life hopping!

My parents took Maida, Skogen, and T to their house for two weeks at the beginning on June.  This allowed me to have my eye surgery and then, also, to have my biopsy.  Klaasen stayed home and helped take care of me.  The morning of my biopsy, he talked me into taking funny pictures.  It took my mind off of what was about to happen and reminded me of why I love this kid so much!!

Luckily, Erik was in town the day of my biospy and came up to the hospital to surprise me!  He waited in the waiting room with me until I was called back.  I showed up to my appointment an hour early to take part in some research!  A team of doctors and researchers tried out a new machine on me that they created. They are hoping that someday this machine will replace biopsies and with more accurate results, too!

All ready to go!  The procedure was scary and horrible.  I actually did not enjoy any of it, which isn't too surprising, right?  After the biopsy, they did another mamogram to make sure they placed the little metal chip in the right spot.  Mammograms are already bad.  Having one right after a biopsy is way worse.

I wasn't aware of the blue die that they were planning to use when I got dressed that morning!  Not only did I walk out of the hospital with an ice pack in my bra, but I walked out of the hospital with a blue chest!

The rest of the day consisted of icing a lot and resting.

While Maida was gone, I organized her Beenie Boos in a picture and sent it to her, saying her friends missed her! 
I also used part of our old crib to organize some of her chapter books and surprised her with a reorganized room when she got home from Grandma and Bumpa's.

A sweet friend sent me flowers after my biopsy!  I love love love getting flowers!  Big blossoms are my fav.

A couple days of recovering and I was ready to get out of the house.  Klaasen and I met Erik downtown for lunch!

At the end of the week, Erik joined me at the doctor to get my biopsy results.  We were thrilled to hear that it was not cancerous!!  A lumpectomy of the golf ball sized lump and some reconstructive surgery is planned for fall. 

Klaasen had a great month of tennis! It was his first time to play and he did very well.

Sko's baseball team



Erik would sometimes be able to send us pictures!  We missed him so much!  It was sad that he had to miss out on so much of our children's lives over the summer.

Klaasen's soccer practice

He did well.  I was so proud that he could follow directions and stay on task - a big improvement from last year!


Nothing says summertime like watermelon!

Picnic dinner at another baseball game!




We loved getting pictures from Daddy!



We tried to learn Shona on Fridays.  Shona is one of the languages they speak in Zimbabwe where we hope to live for a while someday!


Park playdate with friends!

And Cherry Berry after.

This little guy was too young to play, but so much fun to be with!!

The boys continually found toads in the yard all month.  With all the rain and our bad drainage system in the yard, these toads were multiplying like crazy!

This big frog wasn't interested in showing us how to jump on the trampoline.  Instead, he crawled almost five feet up the trampoline wall!!

It was nice to randomly see what Erik was up to!


Late night ball games lead to next day naps!



I will treasure this day forever.  Maida asked if we could match for church.  I love this girl!

More afternoon naps, mid snack!




Erik came home from the Army for 24 hours to graduate from residency.

The kids gave him his Father's Day present since he was still going to be with the Army on Father's Day.

Grandma and Bumpa came up to watch the kids while Erik and I went to residency graduation.  We are so thankful for them and their willingness to help us out whenever we need !

Klaasen caught a stomach bug and after a day of puking, he finally passed out on the bathroom floor.

While Grandma and Bumpa were in town, we added a place for our fireplace in the back yard!






More soccer!



I ended up catching Klaasen's stomach bug and survived single motherhood for two days while I puked my guts out!  It was such a relief to get over that.

Once I was feeling better, I moved all the furniture out of our living room and shampooed the carpets.  Then we had a big movie night and slumber party!

At the end of the month, Daddy came home!!!  Just in time for lots of July adventures.  We missed him SO much, but we were thankful for his phone calls, texts, and pictures.  Not sure how we would have made it without modern technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin