Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





19 January 2011

One Day at a Time

I'm sitting here in my toy-filled living room looking out the window into the front yard, spice tea in hand and blanket on my lap, on this bitterly cold January day. Sounds of Maida reading Cinderella to her naked "Sadie Babby," echo down the hall from her room, interrupted by an occasional, "NOOO!" as Skogen, I'm sure, is either running his car into her or trying to turn the pages of her book, or both. Klaasen is snugged beside me in his stripped footed pajamas, examining the paper that Maida colored in her last Sunday School class and attempting to eat as much of it as he can get into his mouth. None of us are one bit startled by the sounds of the nail gun coming up the stairs or the pounding we feel frequently on the floor beneath us. The sounds of renovation are all too familiar, now, in fact the tile layer came in the house this morning and was working for an hour before I even work up.

I woke up this morning to my phone ringing. It was the mechanic calling from where we had dropped off our van last night. As I answered, he said, "Ms. Scharrer, I'm calling you with very unfortunate news." A call that begins like that never ends good. So, I as sit here three hours later, sipping my spice tea, and marveling at how the snow sparkles as the sun hits it just right, I'm nervously anticipating what these next few weeks will bring. New car? New basement! New town? New baby crawling! Doctor appointments... Birthdays... Weddings... Spring... Graduation... Ah! My mind is spinning as I anticipate my already-crazy-life getting THAT much crazier. How will everything fall into place? I don't even know how tomorrow will fall into place. One day at a time...

1 comment:

  1. You've definately got your hands full! So glad you can enjoy a cup of tea and let it unfold. We just had almost an entire months worth of paycheck in work done on one of our cars...unknown... My brother and his wife are at an appt right now for their unborn daughter with genetic abnormalities...unknown...starting to apply for new jobs elsewhere too...unknown...I hear you!! So glad God gave you pretty snow and sweet babies to snuggle and enjoy in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin