Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





30 June 2008

36 hours of driving and we're finally home...

If it wasn't for the unexpected 18 hour trip down and the 18 hour trip back, I don't think we'd have anything to complain about. We were figuring 13 hours to get there, and it ended up taking a lot longer, especially with a tired mommy and a crabby baby! After eventually arriving, it was so nice to see our family that we haven't seen for so long.

My cousin Bobby's son Paul got married in Denver on Saturday to his beautiful wife Kathleen. The wedding was held in a gorgeous chapel downtown with the reception at the Browne Palace close by. The five course dinner was super good (especially when pregnant!) and taking part in the wedding festivities brought happiness all around.

My personal favorite part of the weekend was a first for us all... me, Maida, my mom, my niece Sadie, my aunt Pat, and aunt Dode were all on the way from the wedding to the reception. We were in the elevator and between the fifth and fourth floors when the elevator suddenly stopped. The door was open a crack, so we could see that we were obviously held up by something. We tried pushing the "door open" button and the "door closed" button. We also tried prying the doors open, but when nothing worked, we had to ring the red button, which sounded some bell alarms all over the hotel, officially stating to the entire Browne Palace that we were STUCK IN THE ELEVATOR! A pregnant mom, a baby, and 11 other people in a small confined place was not an ideal situation for us at the moment. The front desk staff asked us via elevator phone for us all to hang tight and they assured us that all they needed to do is use a coat hanger to pry the elevator off whatever it was hung up on. A coat hanger?!! After hearing this, I had fears of them causing the elevator to fall the five floors we were up! At that thought I started panicking a little, causing some stomach cramps in which I had to sit down on the floor of the already cramped elevator, with all 11 people saying, "Please don't deliver that baby in this elevator!" 20 minutes later and we were out safe and sound, awarded a free parking pass for the night, which was a great prize for getting stuck in their elevator since we had parked valet and it was going to be quite expensive.


Maida asleep in the car on the way to the wedding.


The bride and groom.


My sister kim, niece Sadie, me and Maida


Stuck in the elevator: Aunt Dode, Sadie, me and Maida (you can see that I was starting to sweat, my face got all shiny!)


My uncle Merlyn, Aunt Dode (Grandma of the groom) and my dad


My cousins Deb and Melody with their mom (my aunt) Dode and their daughters Kazeea and Katelyn


Me and Paul, the groom. We hadn't seen each other for years. He played football for the University of Colorado, he's so BIG (and I thought Erik's brother Brandon was huge!)!!!


Mom and dad dancing, Maida dancing with Uncle Tony in the background.


Maida loved to dance and kept pointing to the dance floor!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:25 PM

    I love Maida's dress and her shoes! She looks so cute:)

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin