Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





23 June 2008

Internet at last!

Wow, it's been a week and I haven't posted! That's almost unheard of, for me to go that long without blogging. (For you that are new to our blog, I l-o-v-e blogging and usually update more regularly than once a week!) Last week our cable company decided to randomly turn off our internet, so finally after a week of going through withdrawals, they came over today and hooked us back up. Thank you! For the past two hours and 42 minutes I have been in heaven.

Not only did I have 195 blog posts to catch up on, I had 92 new emails to read. I should be packing for Park Rapids (Maida and I leave tomorrow for the entire summer), but instead I'm enjoying my time back on the internet. I haven't even checked Facebook yet or tried to reply to any emails. Instead I thought that maybe to save some time, I could answer some questions here that I have been getting in several emails and Facebook messages. (It's not that I don't want to reply to you each individually, I just thought this could save me some time so that my husband doesn't kill me for not cleaning the house while he was at school today... believe me, I'd kill myself, too! This place is a dump.)

How far along are you?
- We don't know! We will find out tomorrow (I hope!) at our first doctor appointment. If I had to guess, though, I'd guess about 10 weeks.

Are you going to find out if it's a boy or girl?
- That is still undecided. I really want to find out and I think that I've talked Erik into it, so chances are we will.

How do you think Maida will do with a new baby?
- That's debatable! Erik is convinced that she's gonna end up killing the new baby. Ha, it's not that she's mean, she just has too much love sometimes. Like when she gives her friends hugs, it usually ends up looking like she's trying to tackle them to the ground. She also likes to point out body parts and when she does body parts like eyes, she'll stick her finger half-way through your eyeball to your brain! Or when she does nose, her finger goes further up your nostril than you ever thought anything could! So, I personally think she'll do fine as a big sister, we'll just have to watch her close and teach her how to be gentle.

How will Erik have time for another baby?
- Many other medical students have asked this and I think it's because they know how swamped they get and just how much work it is to be a medical student. I think the difference between Erik and a typical medical student is that he never has to do laundry, cook a meal, do dishes, make the bed, clean the shower, or pick up after himself. I do everything around the house because I stay home and I don't mind doing it. That way when Erik's at home, he doesn't have to have any other responsibility other than hanging out with us. It works out nice. (And for the record, even though Erik doesn't necessarily have any responsibility, he does help me out A LOT!!)

Do you honestly think you'll be able to afford another baby when Erik's in school and you don't work?
- Thanks to the Army National Guard, I think we'll be okay... at least I hope! :)

Do you have any names picked out?
- I'm sick of trying to come up with a girl name that we like, so I really hope it's not a girl, only for that reason. If it's a boy, we'll probably use the name that we had picked out for Maida if she was a boy, which was Skogen Roux, after a famous skier. (Girl name suggestions are being taken - leave us a comment!!)

When is your first doctor appointment?
- Tomorrow, the 24th. I'm so excited I can't hardly wait.

How are you feeling?
- Better. At first I was really sick, but I'm coming around now.

Are you keeping an online baby journal like you did last time?
- Yes! I'm journaling on the same one I did before.

Have you gained any weight yet?
- Yep! 7 pounds.

How far apart will your kids be?
- I dunno yet, but I'm guessing about 21 months.

Will you have another c-section?
- I'm not planning on it. If any of you have any helpful information on VBACS, or any experience with one, I'd love to hear it!!!

Were you planning this one?
- Yes! We've always wanted our kids close in age.


I think those were all the questions I got. Thanks for asking! I'm glad so many of your are interested! :)

I've been behind on posting pictures, so here are some from the past month. Enjoy!
(You can look at them all at once if you click on the slide show and then "view album")

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:41 PM

    Did someone really ask you if "you could afford another baby" or if "Erik would have time for another baby in med school"? Wow! I would never ask those questions, actually I don't even think of questions like that. I guess because I believe people like you guys know what they are doing and I never assume that I know how much money people have. Now that I think about it, i did have someone ask if we could afford two kids. Which is crazy because people don't now the size of someones bank account!
    Okay, I'm done venting! I guess I'm just one of those people who doesn't think that way.
    Just to let you know, Mark and I are really excited for you guys and look forward to updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the pictures... BOYS don't pee from their BUTTS!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erik- Your butt was wet because you were sitting when you peed your pants. You're not getting out of this one!!!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin