Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





20 November 2008

Dermatologist Appointment

Finally a doctor that listened.

Today we saw the dermatologist and I went in expecting him to tell us that there was nothing he could do for Maida's rash, but to my surprise, he seemed a bit in awe of how her MC had spread and multiplied. Apparently after 10 months of having MC, it usually starts to clear up, but hers has done the opposite. I think he was even surprised at how bad her eczema was (and that's probably because I stopped treating it a few days ago to make the rash look even worse-!). He actually came into the room, saw the rash, and immediately started discussing treatment options. Erik was able to come with us to see the dermatologist and it was nice to have him there, not only to have his medical knowledge, but to be able to decide together on a treatment plan.

Our treatment plan: Every two weeks we will go to the dermatologist and he will put an ointment on as many of the MC that he can. Today he put the first dose on and even though the ointment doesn't hurt, Maida still screamed bloody murder, which is typical of her when anyone even touches the rash. When I asked her, while she was screaming, if it hurt, she said "no," but when I asked her if it tickled, she said, "yes." And I think that is the main reason why she doesn't like us touching it, she is just a really ticklish child! As I was holding her down to the exam table, kicking and screaming, it was at least a little comforting to hear that she wasn't in pain.

The second step in the treatment, after the ointment is applied, is letting it set. Medical tape is applied over the treated MC and has to stay on for three or four hours (or as long as the child can tolerate it, but probably not more than five hours). She then is put in the bath to soak, rip off the tape, and wash off the skin. Our first experience with ripping off the tape was not pleasant and she appeared to be in a lot of pain as the tape not only irritated her eczema, but when we ripped it off, it tore some of the treated MC off with it too. We felt so bad having to do this to her.

In the next two weeks, we should see the MC that were treated dry up, blister over, or just plain fall off. I guess that if it works this time around, she'll be treated every two weeks until it's pretty much gone. I don't think they will ever get all of them, though, because there are so many. There will probably just be a stopping point at which we'll decide that we've done enough. The only downside to the treatment is that it could leave scarring, kind of like chicken pox scars, and there is a small chance that the treatment won't work.... I'll keep you all updated on that.

As far as the eczema goes, we were still just instructed to use the prescription steroid on it twice a day and take Zyrtec at night. If anyone knows of any good products for eczema, let me know. I've tried everything... Eucerin, Vaseline, Soothing Naturals, California Baby, Burts Bees, Aveeno Baby... and just can't find anything that seems to calm down the eczema. I wanted to ask the dermatologist what he reccomended, but I forgot!

Well, after such a long battle with these rashes, I finally feel like we're getting some where. I can see that it's going to be a long road, but I've got confidence that we're finally on the right path. Send lots of praise for our answers today and please pray that her body will respond to the treatment and we'll get it under control soon. Thank you to everyone who have emailed or called with encouragement or advice. We know that you all hated seeing Maida suffer too. She's such trooper!

7 comments:

  1. I am sooooo glad to hear that there is some hope in sight! It broke my heart to see such a little one so uncomfortable. :(
    Please keep us posted on the progress and we'll all keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kara. I'm a friend of Melody and Aubrey. Let me tell you what has worked wonders for my son's eczema. This was recommended by the pediatrician. After he takes a bath, I put on a layer of hydro cortisone and then a layer of crisco. I know it sounds weird but it really, really works. My good friend had tried everything for her son's horrible eczema and had been to the dr. multiple times. I told her about this and it worked wonders for him too. I had also tried all the products you mentioned, to no avail. I would try this and if it works, great and if not, you're no worse off than you are now!
    Good Luck! We also have tons of skin issues at our house too, so I can relate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:10 AM

    hey kara,
    just thought I'd throw out an "alternative" non-medicated option--in my own experience with eczema the steroid cream (hydrocortisone) only works as long as you keep using it. through the summer I discovered a new cream called, "No X E Ma!" (cute huh) by "Four Elements Herbals". I know you can order it online, it's about $15 for a jar. It only has natural stuff in it and I noticed a huge difference after only a few days of using it. But in general just keep in mind (unfortunately...): as far as eczema goes, it seems that different things work for different people and there's not really a "cure all" for everyone. Just sharing what's worked for me!
    (another more inexpensive option that's also helped me a bit, although not as well, is "Vanicream", sold in the Mayo store here--maybe you could also find that in a medical store up there. Ok now I'm done! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can get VaniCream by the Pharmacy at Target. I live by it. Another good non steroid treatment is mixing triamcinolone 5% (prescription) with the vanicream. That is what the Dermatologist from the Mayo had me do right after taking a shower while your skin is still a little moist. It cleared my up within 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kara,
    I'm so happy you've found a dr. that was willing to listen and help Maida! God takes care of us so well, doesn't He?
    Both of my kiddos had ezcema...their pediatrician prescribed "Elidel" for their skin. Logan's head was COVERED with the rash and the medicine cleared it up within a few days.
    It's not slimy or greasy either and I liked that. I put it on them twice a day and I was even instructed to put Aquaphor on top of it.
    Hang in there!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey- I meant to write to you a few days ago. I went to a naturopath on Monday night and he talked a lot about rashes and how easily they are to treat. He said they are always a sensitivity to something. They actually do a test called EDS and it will tell them what her body is having a hard time with. You then just have to remove whatever she is sensitive to and the rash is gone. He said rashes never, ever clear up completely doing it medically because it is an internal issue and they treat it externally. He treats lots and lots of patients that did the whole dermataligst and allergist route first. Just thought I would let you know. Also, my friend's husband and daughter have severe excema and the only thing that works is the remedy thier homeopathic doctor prescribed. I hope you get it all figured out. Poor little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of the advice! I really appreciate you all throwing out options to try. Anything is worth a try and hopefully we'll run across something that works. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin