Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





10 November 2008

What Do We Do?

Does this break your heart?



It does mine too.
Everyday.

But this guy:

won't return my phone calls.

He is Maida's dermatologist and despite my frantic mother-panicked worries, he still insists that there is "nothing we can do for Maida's rash." Drugging her up on Zyrtec and Benadryl plus a little steroid cream here and there, doesn't quite seem right. I've been waiting for him to return my phone calls for three weeks now, but for some reason I don't think he's going to call me back.
What do we do when...
1) Our dermatologist doesn't seem concerned.
2) Our family doctor doesn't seem concerned.
--BUT--
3) Our child is miserable?!!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:33 PM

    Kara

    I'm crying right now just looking at Maida's rash. You are so strong to be dealing with this! I don't have answers but I will be praying about this everday this week hoping that you get an answer. I know what it is like to hurt when your child hurts.

    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kara- that is terrible. I feel so bad for you guys. It is the most awful feeling in the world when your child wants you to fix something that you can't. I will be praying that you guys get some answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor baby! And poor you guys! I"m so sorry. When Logan was born, he had a rash on his whole scalp. I told his doc that I thought it was eczema and she said it was cradle cap. She told me to use Head and Shoulders on it. I did and it BURNED his whole head and forehead!!! He was bleeding and I thought I was going to have to hurt the doctor. Turns out it was just eczema and I treated it myself. I think I may get a second and third and fourth opinion until you find something to help her!! I'll also be praying this week that even if you don't get answers, she'll find some comfort. I don't know her but give her a hug anyway.
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kara- That is just horrible! I can't believe it is so bad. Does it ever go away or is it always there? I would for sure be getting some answers. She doesn't have to live that way. From everything I have read about natural health a naturopath would be a great answer for you. They actually do allergy testing to see what her body can and can't handle. The testing is non-invasive- Maida would actually hold a metal rod and it goes through and gives them lists of what her body may be lacking or getting too much of. It could be something she is eating or it could be enviromental but they would be able to tell you and help you. It sounds kind of hoky but they have success after success story. It is what I am going to try to do now. Medical doctors look for immediate issues- they don't look at things that tax our immune systems. That is where a naturopath or a homeopath comes in. If you want I can call mine and get someone they recommend in your area. I for sure wouldn't give up though Kara. It is probably an easier fix than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suffered with horrible eczema 19 years of my life.

    My advice is to bring her down to the Mayo Clinic. I had seen atleast 5 Dermatologists and an allgerist and they could not cure my rashes. I went to see a dermotologist at the Mayo Clinic and they knew just the treatment and literally within a week I had clear skin. So, for her sake you should take her to the Mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks terrible! I would cry, too. I hope you get in to the doctor very soon. Let us know what the diagnosis ends up being...will help the rest of us know what to look for!

    I hope Maida feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:06 PM

    I totally second the comment about the homeopath--they usually aren't so busy that you can't get into see them for months, which is usually the case with good dermatologists. there has to be something internal causing it and naturopaths/homeopaths are definitely holistic in their approach, so they'd be really likely to figure out what it is. maybe in the meantime smearing a thick neutral cream (eucerin)/antibiotic ointment (to help heal the cracked parts) on it and putting a snug-fitting cotton shirt on will at least provide some relief, not to mention keep her from scratching?? praying for you and your little darling...(but if you do end up getting an appt at Mayo, stay with us!I won't take no for an answer!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Maida,
    This is Leah Beth, Amy is my mommy. I want to send you a card, will you please send me your address?
    Thank you,
    Leah Beth
    rad254@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin