Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





05 November 2008

I voted! ... well, almost.

I have never voted. I am 25 years old and have never taken advantage of my voting privilege. I just really have never gotten into the elections. I let friends' comments, door knockers, commercials, and political emails go right in one ear and out the other. I'm not the type of person to complain about our government, economy, or US leaders. I just live in whatever circumstances that I'm given, which has played into my hesitancy to vote in the past.

As election day approached this year, I definitely didn't educate myself as much as I should have, but I was seriously considering voting (despite my lack of interest in the election), not that I knew exactly every issue that each candidate stood for, but I almost felt like it was my American duty to vote. That's until I read something that a good friend said about Obama. She said that she truly believed that if you voted for Obama, you would be held accountable [by God] for killing innocent lives (since Obama was for abortion). This struck me rather hard and scared me quite a bit. If that was true for Obama, wouldn't that be true about McCain (because not everything he stood for was Biblical), or any other candidate on the ballot? Could I potentially be held accountable for voting for someone if they didn't stand exactly for what God would?! It was at that point when I realized that I could not vote, not at all, not for anyone. I was scared.

I expressed my fears last night to Erik before he went to vote because I was still scared that if I voted, I was going to hell... and if he voted, he was going to hell... we talked about it for a little bit, but he really didn't see it that way. He still felt obligated (and honored) to vote in this election and was confident that he was voting for people who upheld more christian values than their opponent. He encouraged me to go with him to the polls and if I was scared to vote, I wouldn't have to vote at all, or I could just abstain from voting for a certain position. I thought that was a good idea, so with 20 minutes left until the polls closed in Minnesota, we were off!

I have to admit that I was a little nervous, yet excited to finally be participating in my first election! We were not registered voters, so before leaving the house we gathered anything we could find for proof of address. We had health insurance bills, car insurance, bank statements, and student loans. As I approached the older gentleman at the door of the polls, I was shaking as I handed over our proof of address (Was I doing something that I could go to hell for? By voting, was I turning my back on God because I was supporting a worldly person? I tried to tell myself that I was doing my best just by supporting the candidates who I felt best represented God and that none of the candidates were perfect people - in fact, none of us are!) As all my doubts and fears were racing through my head, the older gentleman was flipping through our papers and asked me if we had brought any utility bills. Utility bills? We don't pay utilities because they are included in our rent and utility bills were the only thing that they could accept for proof of address. He apologized and we walked out the door as fast as we had come in. All my fear, all my anxiety, and we weren't even able to vote.

Honestly, I feel good about trying. I also feel good about the election finally coming to a close. I know there were a lot of different emotions last night as Obama was announced the winner, but I have confidence that God will take care of our country, no matter who is in the presidency. God bless America! (I feel cheesy saying that, but I really do mean it.)

6 comments:

  1. That's why it's often said - "the lesser of two evils." :)

    I don't believe you'll be held directly responsible for anyone else's actions. You just vote for the BEST candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never said you would go to Hell Kara and I don't think that. I for sure think a lot of people who voted for him will be because they have never asked Jesus in thier hearts and repented of thier sins. As a Christian, it wouldn't send you into hell but you will be held accountable, meaning you will have to answer to God for who you supported a man who kills the most innocent of human life. By voting him in you are saying you know this and understand it and it is ok. I am not the only one who believes you will be held accountable. Ask any strong born again christian. They will say the same. Every action we do we are held accountable for. I am not perfect and daily there are things I have to repent of but I sure will never put a man who is so void of morals into power. Not my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara,
    We are given the right to vote, not the right to judge. God can come into anyone's heart at any moment and make changes He knows we need. This includes our countries leaders. They may stand for something now, but only God can judge them and their heart. Miracles still happen and people are still changed. If one person can be born again then another can too, and this does not exclude our elected officials. Don't be hard on yourself, you are seeking truth, and that is what is important. Love,
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara I understand where you are coming from. It is scary and i felt the same way. i felt like i didnt know enough to make a good decision. But i do know that Obama doesnt support abortion but he does support pro choice and he is not the one killing innocent lives it is those who choose to take that route. who are we to say whether it is right or wrong for abortion. we dont know what happened to those people. so many people are so antigovernment and against the government taking over and make decisions for us, they want less government yet they want there to be something passed to take away our freedom to choose. if that were to happen where would the line be drawn of what we have a choice over. I am not for abortion by any means and i am sure everyone who knows me knows that. sorry for this rant. i have never done this before. but i just had to say something. people are crazy. Like Erik said, you have to choose who you think is the best. and know that all the stuff you hear from the media a lot of it is a bunch of he said, she said crap so a lot of the times you have to do your own research to figure things out. i cant stand politics and dont really even know why i am writing all this. weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this may be after the fact and all, but here is a website my friend made.

    http://whyiamvotingforobama.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kara,
    I loved reading your entry. I also voted, went back and forth and back and forth...and then made a confident decision. I think Erik is right that we have to make the best decision possible with the facts we have. I understand that both candidates want to leave the issue of abortion up to the state. That means we need to vote more conservatively for our Senate, if we feel so moved on that issue and others like it. We all know that being the president would be a crappy job, somoene is going to be upset with his decisions, just Like Bush. If he wouldn't have sent our soldiers off to protect us after 9-11, we all would have been upset. Now everyone is upset that we've been there too long. Just an example.
    Anyway, good for you for trying! And remember, God only commands us a few things where voting is concerned. He commands us to "obey the laws of the land", and to respect those in authority. We should also be praying for them.
    It's scary to know that the world may have some big changes for our kids to grow up in...we have a big responsibility. But I think our kids will see some amazing changes too! We've elected an African American president! God has changed the hearts of men and women all across our country and I'm proud to say that He gets the glory for that!
    Amy D.

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin