Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





26 April 2010

Name This Kid!

Picking out paint for our house was so much fun! Not just because I was excited about painting and getting the place looking nice, but because most of these paints have such unique names! How fun would it be to name paint?! Here are some of my favorite paint names from our recent paint shopping trip...
Canyon Echo
Pink Ballet Slipper
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Sandy Feet
Crisp Ginger Ale
New Grass Green
Pool Party
Essence of Lilac
Gentle Fawn
Mid Day Mocha

None of those paints, however, happen to be on my freshly painted walls. Just as choosing a name for our new baby, choosing a couple paint colors to complete our living room, dining room, and kitchen was a struggle. After over an hour of looking at paint samples, we finally decided on Cork, Chianti, and Gobi Desert (a yellow, a red, and a tan), which names aren't nearly as cute or as fun as any of my favorite paint names!

Thinking of naming paint and comparing the picking process of the paint colors to picking baby names, I thought I'd do a post asking for some help! We have not been able to come up with a name for this baby. Even though Maida has decided that if it's a girl, we'll name her "Tuna-Luna-Luna" and if it's a boy, we'll name him "Velociraptor," I'm not convinced those are the best choices for us. So, I thought I'd pull some suggestions from our blog readers. Most of you may not care or even know how to comment, but it would be really fun if you would (you can comment anonymously if that makes you feel more comfortable - click on "post a comment" below this post to comment). I would love to get hundreds and hundreds of name suggestions (which is funny noticing how the most comments I've ever gotten on one blog post is four or five!), so feel free to leave as many as you can think of.

Here some things you should know before you help us name our child:
1. We like different names.
2. We would like to find a name with a "K" in the name somewhere (but that's not super important).
3. We're looking for a middle name that starts with an "R".
4. We do not know if it's a boy or a girl.

Other interesting things about Maida and Skogen's names that may help you find our perfect name:
1. Maida's name was a complete accident. We really weren't prepared for a girl, so we pulled her name out at the last minute (after I decided that I didn't like Kensington - our girl name that we had picked out just in case she was a girl). Her name means "young girl".
2. We had Skogen's name picked out for Maida if she was a boy. He is named after a famous skier and he is born on this famous skier's birthday. "Skogen" means "forest" in Swedish.
3. Maida's middle name (Raine) is the last half of my middle name and Skogen's middle name (Roux) is the last half of Erik's middle name (just spelled differently).
4. If Skogen happened to be a girl, we had McKinley Ruth picked out.


Okay, name away! Someone please, name this kid!

21 comments:

  1. I think Velociraptor is nice...could be a boy or a girl! :) A baby I delivered today was named Alice, which is nice and not very common these days. How about Tobiah for a boy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Becker as a first name, a very common name in our tree. Our Grandmother Lizzie was a Becker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:08 PM

    I like McKinley Faith, Reagan Kate,
    Madison Korinne, Kassidy Lorainne, and Lucy Katherine for a girl

    Boy: Ryder, Caden, Lucah, Campbell or Beckett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kalla Rose for a girl!

    Noah was going to be "Calla" if he was a girl...you could spell it with a K--"Kalla". It is Greek and means "beautiful". Also short for the flower Callalily.

    I love biblical names for boys (as you can tell with my two--Caleb and Noah). But I like some of the less common biblical names too like Judah and Cannan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For girls:
    Aurelia Rose (Aurelia means golden)
    Keeley Rhea (no, not because my last name is Ray, I think the name is cute!)
    Kaydence Reece (Kaydence is a diffferenc spelling of Cadence, meaning rythem)
    Anika (Hebrew for Grace)
    Blakely
    Ellika (I read it in a book the other day, combination of Ella and Jessica I guess, but I thought it was cute!)
    Larkin
    Mariska


    For boys:
    Andrick (Greek for man and warrior)
    Becker Reece
    Brecken
    Kegan
    Kessler
    Knox
    Oakley
    Rockley

    Either:
    Keelan (English for slender and fair)
    Kingsley
    Laiken


    I love looking at baby names! :-) You should check out babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com . They have an advanced search that you can put in all your requirements for names!

    I hope this gave you some ideas! I can't wait to hear what you pick and if it's a boy or girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reagan can be a middle name for a boy or girl.

    I like McKenna for a girl. I met a little girl once with that name and thought it was so cute, and there is a "K" in it!! I like this name, but Mike didn't, so we won't ever use it. But it would be fun if you did!!

    I also liked Riley for a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spent an hour looking at boy names last night. We have a list, but none of them that we just love! Luke thinks its a sign that its a girl, because we have a girl name picked out.
    So, I guess I don't have any ideas, but I know where your coming from! Harper did suggest "strawberry" for a girl and "henry" for a boy. I don't think we will use either one if you want to steal them.

    Good luck...I hope you get some good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kara and Erik,

    Here are some names that I thought you might like:
    Boys:
    Killian - Irish for small and fierce
    Declan - Means "bearer": 6th century Irish St. Declan.
    Kellan - Irish for lively, aggressive
    Micah
    Quaid (not a k, but sounds like it)
    Cullen
    Dakarai - Zimbabwe for "happiness"

    Middle names: Rowan, Rory, Rylan, Reilly, Reed


    Girls:
    Kiera
    Kiana
    Kiley
    Kyla - Hebrew for "victorious"
    Alika - Nigerian for "most beautiful"
    Akili - Swahili for "bright" or "smart"

    Middle names: Rhiannon, Renee, Reece(boy or girl), Raven

    Just some suggestions! :)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the name Rowan or Reese for a girl. You could go with Micah for a girl or a boy...how fun! Glad you didnt find out what youre having!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl- Danika
    Boy- Erik (oh, that one's taken:). maybe Lincoln (Link) or one that was suggested at our shower... Manly Hot Springs. That one's allll yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two boys names that I liked were Kellen or Cullen. I loved Kenan and am soo glad we went with it.

    I don't really know about unusual name for a girl. I love Elena and call her Ellie.

    Good luck. It's hard to pick out names.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:29 AM

    BOY: Stryker, Tristan, Calder, Callum, Kellan, Langley, Latham, Leif, Loken, Vail, Rion, Rigg, Gjerde, Basem, Jeton, Valon, Phoenix, Levine, Tavis, Kim, Liam, Micah, Kingrey, Sasha, Coen, Rowan, Jansen, Kjellen, Lieven, Maden, Kireg, Gavril, Ainsley, Talon,

    GIRL: Remy, Carys, Annika, Cariannder, Giovanna, Havilah, Annalicia, Carliann, Carian, Caricka, Carielle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Livi Lola. It 's a family name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with the names! I enjoyed looking through everyone's suggestions...I don't really have any more to add, although I do like Reagan. If Carter had been a girl, we had the name Kendall Noelle picked out.

    I noticed in church Sunday that you're finally looking pregnant! Wahooo. I admire you being able to handle three....I feel busy with just one! July will be here before you know it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always really liked the name "Eldora" for a girl. A relative of ours had it and I thought it was unique. It apparently means, "golden". Also, I found it was the name of a ski resort in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:08 PM

    I have 2 boys (and we're done) but I really wanted a little girl to name Charis (pronounced Care-is and opposed to car-is)I also had an RA named Ladye Rachel. She went by Rachel, but I thought Ladye was a fantabulous first name!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous9:23 AM

    Kiel – city in northern Germany
    Dircksen – street in Berlin
    Tallinn – city in Estonia
    Rouen – city in France
    Taunton – city in England
    Tyne - England
    Grena – city in Denmark
    Skien - city in Norway
    Summit
    Rykar
    Spykar
    Kensington

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:25 AM

    BOY:
    Kully
    Krystan
    Krzysztof
    Aksel
    Aksys
    Gaskon
    Roecklen/Roecklan
    Rykar/Raikar
    Burke
    Hakkon/Haken
    Kelton
    Korr
    Koy
    Ryklan
    Atherton
    Rothe
    Keir


    GIRL:
    Aleksya
    Lola
    Lura
    Ruth
    Ruby
    Karis
    Emme

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:43 AM

    What about Skout? It's gender neutral and would be make a cute boy's or girl's name. It also shares the first three letters of Skogen's name. Along the same line of thought, for a middle name you could add an 'R' to the last three or four letters of Maida's name...Raida, Ryida, Rida etc. You get my drift. :) Whatever name you pick will be perfect and your little one will appreciate all the careful thought you put into choosing his or her name. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous1:05 PM

    You asked for baby name suggestions, so here goes....

    Boys: Niklas (Victory of the people), Garik (Warrior Archer) and Kerk (Church) all with the middle name Ryan

    Girls: Mikaella (Who is like God), Kalena (Pure), and Kiersten (Follower of Christ) all with the middle name Ruth

    Now, if you don't use any of these I will NOT be hurt! You just asked and I remember how hard it was to choose a name for our third child, so I thought I give you some help. Can't wait to see this baby!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin