Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





27 April 2010

So that I'll never forget...

Maida was doing some crafts on the dining room table the other day while I was cleaning the house when she discovered that her scissors were great for cutting her hair, too. I walked into the dining room and found her with golden curls all over the table. She had snipped pieces of hair from all over her head. I gave her a bath and washed her hair and chunks were still falling out! After explaining to Maida that we don't cut our hair or anyone else's hair, I called Erik to tell him how sad I was about Maida cutting her hair. Apparently he didn't get the idea from my message that we were supposed to be upset that she cut her hair so that she wouldn't do it again. After he got home from work, they had the following conversation...
Daddy: Maida, did you cut your hair today?
Maida: Yep!
Daddy: Well, it looks beautiful! You did a good job!
Maida: I knew you wouldn't be upset with me!

After Maida was alone in the kitchen for a few minutes...
Maida: Mommy, I just really want some of those crackers. [talking with cracker crumbs stuck in her teeth and all over her face]
Me: Oh yeah? What crackers?
Maida: The ones in that door that I just opened a little bit.
Me: Oh, did you already have some crackers?
Maida: No! [smiling]
Me: Maida, tell me the truth... did you already eat some crackers?
Maida: No, Mommy! I didn't eat some crackers, I ate one cracker!

Shortly after Grandma left our house last weekend...
Maida: Mommy, do you know what?
Me: What?
Maida: We don't say fat to people because we don't say fat. Grandma told me we say, "You are nice and plump."

On the way to church on Sunday night...
Maida: Mommy, maybe someday Daddy could teach me how to drive.
Me: Yeah, I'm sure he will, but you have to be 16 to get your drivers license.
Maida: Yep! And it's gonna hafta be a girl one... a pink and brown one!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I love these little snips of conversation from your daily life. She is too smart! I was hoping for a picture of the new haircut...but maybe the panic of your child's beautiful curls laying on the table distracted you from grabbing a camera. :)

    You're a great mom, Kara!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin