Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





14 April 2010

Sick Sick Skogie Bear

Our little boy is so sick. After having seven days of diarrhea and two days of vomiting, he was diagnosed down in Oklahoma at the Emergency Room with a double ear infection and a bad viral infection. However, upon returning home from Oklahoma three days after diagnosis and still throwing up and having about 10-15 diarrhea episodes a day, I knew that something else was up. Our pediatrician checked him out yesterday morning and declared that Skogen does not have a double ear infection. His ears were as clear as a bell! He, however, does have something yucky going on, so my day yesterday consisted of collecting poop samples! This was a very hard task, especially since he no longer has any poop coming out, just water with a few poop particles present. Once I get all of the samples, we are planning to test for Pathogens, Salmonella, Shigella, E.coli, Aeromonas,Plesiomonas, Campylobacter, Ova and Parasites, Giardia, amoebae, Giardia antigen/Cryptosporidium, and Clostridium difficile Toxin A/B.

I'm praying that I can collect these samples quickly and that the results don't take a week to get back. I'm also still praying that this is still just a bad viral infection and that it will go away on it's own soon. Well, back to laying in bed with my sick my sick little boy. It seems like all he wants is to lay on top of me and snuggle. It's a good thing I'm not on a time limit to get any of my house chores done and that Maida can pretty much take care of entertaining herself.

4 comments:

  1. Poor baby! I can't believe that is still going on! How miserable!! What about diaper rash, was there anything to help that? I hope he is better soon and that it's something easy. Keep us posted!!!

    On a side note, it was so great to see you and your sweetie pies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kara, I'm so sorry he's feeling so crummy. I bet you're worried. I'll be praying for speedy results so he doesn't have to feel yucky for much longer..and i'll also be praying that you're able to collect enough and accurate samples to help get a diagnosis. Hang in there! So glad Maida is self sufficient. It's pretty neat how it works out that way. Thinking of you and Skogen,
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Aubs, Amy, and Hannah! He is sleeping a lot today, so I'm hoping this means that his body is trying to heal up. I have been unsuccessful in getting the last poop sample today, but hope I can before our clinic closes at 8pm. Thanks for praying!

    Aubrey, the ER doc in Oklahoma told me about a cream that is for use in cattle, pigs, and horses, but that he uses it on his babies' bottoms. His babies are allergic to diaper rash cream just like Skogen, so it was great that he was the doctor that saw us and could tell us about this cream. It is called Corona Cream and it is AMAZING! Skogen doesn't cry when we put it on and it only took ONE application to heal his bottom. Can you believe that?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how funny!!! we WERE in edmond last week!!! i had won a free photography session and my parents live up in edmond, so we met at the park to take pictures! i am so surprised you recognized us! what were ya'll doing in edmond?! you should have said hi! :)

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin