Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





21 June 2009

Happy Father's Day, Erik!

When Erik and I started dating, Erik was pretty wild - not wild in a bad way, wild in a completely crazy way. A couple years after we got married, Erik was accepted to medical school, and a little while before medical school started, we had our first baby. Through out these past five years, and all the transitions we've been through, I've gotten to witness Erik change from being the craziest, most outrageous person I ever knew, to being the most patient, gentle, responsible, loving man, husband, and father I'll ever know.

Erik's journey to fatherhood was filled with lots of new surprises as we learned all about pregnancy with our growing bump.
When Maida was born, I was under anaesthesia for three hours after the birth, so Erik was all alone with our new babe. I remember saying to him when I saw him for the first time after Maida was born, and I found out that he had been alone with her, "Did you even know how to hold her?!!"

To my surprise, Erik did know how to hold her... and a lot more! With Maida being in the Special Care Nursery right after the birth, Erik stepped up without me and filled the role as "dad" even though I know that he was completely scared and worried at how everything would play out that day.His love, courage, and fatherhood didn't stop there. He was always looking for ways to help. Shortly after bringing Maida home from the hospital, Erik complained about me getting to feed Maida all the time (since I was nursing) so I would often pumped bottles so that Erik could participate, too.
As time went on (all too quickly!), Erik never ceased to amaze me. Dirty diapers, big owies, bubble baths, and bed time - there wasn't anything he didn't do. He grew as a dad right alongside our growing baby and toddler.
Our second pregnancy and birth seemed a little easier, despite Erik being in school and having to work around his exam schedule!
Erik really surprised me as a dad in new ways, this time at how natural it was for him to become a daddy of two.
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank God for making Erik the father to my babies. He has grown so much - and still is a little crazy once in a while... now he just has two little partners in crime!!

I love you, Erik. Happy Father's Day.
You are such a great dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin