Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





09 July 2010

Appointment Update

After the appointment, we went to a medical school party and I'm just now getting home and sitting down at the computer to update. Sorry for the delay! I'll try to be thorough with the update, but quick, too, because we're off on the road again at 6am, traveling to another wedding, so I need to get to sleep. Hopefully I can convey my thoughts, and our experience at the doctor today, in a way that makes sense... I'm so sleep deprived that I don't even know what's going on half of the time...

The appointment went well. The ultrasound showed the baby being about 7 pounds 7 ounces, which was great news (Skogen was 8 pounds 13 ounces at this exact time!)!!!! After meeting with our doctor following the ultrasound and discovering that I'm not really thinning or dilating like he wishes I would, we decided to go ahead and schedule a C-section, but not until my due date. This was important to me because all of the other doctors I've doctored with have really pushed me to schedule it two weeks early (so that there is no chance that I could go into labor), but Dr. Griffiths was really all for letting me go as long as I wanted. The good news is that he will let me try a VBAC all the way up until I feel comfortable trying! So, if I go into labor before the 27th, I can labor and try to deliver vaginally. However, I can not be induced with a VBAC, so the only way a vaginal delivery is going to happen is if my body progresses like it should.

I am SO happy with all of the decisions that were made today. I love that Dr. Griffiths trusts my body, trusts his skills, and trusts that we can do this! I also am accepting the fact that we have a C-section scheduled because if I go that long, the baby is predicted to gain about a half a pound a week until he or she comes out, so by the time the 27th rolls around, the baby might be a little big to VBAC. I'm going to try everything I can to get this baby moving down and out, but there is one slight problem to our plan - baby is posterior! Posterior babies can be delivered, but it is more difficult and really doesn't help my chances of a successful VBAC. I'm going to keep my hopes up, though, and trust that God will lead and guide us in whatever direction He knows we should go in. Please be praying about this and any advice on how to get this baby moving down would be appreciated!!!

Hopefully this all made sense. As I mentioned, we're on the road again this weekend and Erik and I are going to have a night away from the kids tomorrow night for the first time ever!!! We're dropping them off at my parents' house on our way to way-way north Minnesota. We have a wedding to go to and I'm really looking forward to not having to chase kids around for a weekend. Yippee!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! I'm glad you had a good appointment. Have fun at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoooo! You have an awesome Doc.
    I'm so happy for you that he's so supportive and not pushy whatsoever. When you're closer to your due date, if you've dialated some, is he willing to strip your membranes? That sent me into labor with my third (not with the first two).

    For the record, I am "average size", and I VBACed two - 8 lbs , 13 oz (born ON his due date) and 8 lbs, 15 oz (born 12 hours AFTER his due date - but I was in labor ON his due date). I hope this is encouragement to you that it IS possible.
    You are right - your body was made to do this! Isn't it amazing how God knit together every perfect detail?! :)

    I pray that you have the delivery of your dreams. God knows the desires of your heart, certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, thank you for the encouragement!!! I'm getting really nervous about this whole thing and worried that I won't progress or go into labor and that it will just be another scheduled C-section. I'm having a hard time trusting God's timing. Thank you for sharing your stories! :)

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin