Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





14 July 2011

The Blessings Continue

I received a call from an unknown number this afternoon. Having a slight phoneaphobia, I debated on whether or not I should answer it. Before I could make up my mind, my finger was sliding the screen down and the call was answered.
The phone call started really awkward, with my service not being the best and cutting out half of what the girl was saying, and her maybe feeling a little nervous about calling someone she didn't know. However, two minutes into the conversation I was chatting with a stranger just like it was an old friend from college! Erin, the spouse of another resident, was calling to remind me of a physician wives Bible study starting next week. She was also calling to check up on me. Through the grapevine, word of our unfortunate housing situation and rough transition to residency has spread, especially around the christian resident community. It is so nice and such a blessing to know that people care, even complete strangers. It was also a blessing that Erin has children almost the exact same ages as mine and that she was looking for someone to hang out with at the zoo later this week. :) Through this phone call, and several other happenings in the last few days, God has proven to me that He provides.
As I was driving around today, I started thinking of several other blessings that we have received recently...

Creepy Apartment Complex...
It was midnight a few nights ago and Erik was at work late. As I walked into the kitchen to throw a diaper away, I glanced out my window through the crack in the curtains and caught a glimpse of an unfamiliar face standing on my balcony. My petrifying fear quickly turned to relief as I realized that it was just the security guard. The apartment complex hired a security guard that comes every evening around 6pm and walks the parking lot and balconies all night long. I feel so safe and so secure at night, even when Erik isn't home. What a blessing!

Anti Smart Phones...
A little over a year ago, Erik finally convinced me to enter the world of smart phones. I entered kicking and screaming. I didn't even know how to text! What was I supposed to do with a smart phone and why in the world would anyone need anything like that, anyway!? Well, as the last year has went by, I have discovered why someone really does need a smart phone! :) There is no way I would be on the internet right now, if it weren't for an app on my phone called PDA Net. It allows me to turn my phone into a modem and get free internet wherever I have phone service. How awesome is that?! I highly recommend it. It has been such a blessing! I have also been able to buzz all over our new city with my phone's GPS! I would be lost (literally!) without my phone.

Non-refundable Registration Fee...
The week I joined Erik in Rochester, I immediately started checking out preschools. In fear that they would all be full and have wait lists, I registered Maida for the first preschool I came across that had an opening. Unfortunately, this week we decided to switch preschools and we found out the registration fee I already paid was non-refundable. However, I knew I was making the right decision to switch if I could switch even knowing I would lose that money. I feel that the new preschool is such a better fit for our family and our children. There is even a program for Skogen, which he is sooooooooo thrilled about! We went to visit today and they were both so excited to see where they will start in the fall. Skogen kept asking me all day, "Mommy, you gonna dop me off at pee-cool, now?" He just can't wait! Maida is super excited too, and is going to be evaluated next week to see if she can make it into their advanced preschool program. I'm so excited for the opportunities and feel that we are blessed to have found such a great christian-based preschool program. God put just the right people in my life at just the right time to tell me about and convince me to switch!

I feel like things are starting to fall into place and it is my goal to be in a house, or at least somewhere more permanent with all of our belongings, by the time Maida and Skogen start preschool. And if we're not, I'm sure that God will provide and no matter where we are or what we're doing, we'll be happy and blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for so many amazing blessings!! I am so glad that you have a security guard at your apartment, that has got to help you rest easy. How scary at first though!! I am glad things are looking up!!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin