Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





25 July 2011

Day #2 - Golden Birthday Week

Today was Erik's only day off in the next couple weeks. So, he spent the majority of it doing paper work, paying bills, and making phone calls, but he also spent some time with the kids and I. Since we don't get many days together, I really wanted to get out and do something fun as a family. We ended up eating outside at a neat little restaurant where I had my very first pannekoeken and then we walked around the hospital campus where Erik works. It was such a fun evening! I really appreciate Erik taking up his day off to spend time with us.

In honor of the second day of my Golden Birthday, I decided to list 28 of my favorite places (in no particular order)...
1. Disney Land
2. Sydney, Australia
3. the beach on Potato Lake (where Erik and I got married)
4. My rocking chair, rocking my babies to sleep
5. Austria
6. New York City
7. Our tent (I love to camp!)
8. The deer stand (love waiting all bundled up in the freezing cold in the wee hours of the morning for a deer to come and I love the anticipation and adrenaline rush of the hunt!)
9. Oklahoma City (only because of the lots of family and friends we have there)
10. My bed
11. The Zoo (any zoo, I love going to the zoo)
12. The rink (I grew up as an ice skater. The two things I love most about the rink is the smell and the sounds - it's a skater's thing, I think.)
13. The hospital where Erik is a resident (it is AMAZING!)
14. Tanning beds (I don't tan anymore, but in college I found tanning beds to be very relaxing.)
15. Haiti
16. Duluth, MN and the north shore
17. The library (wish I could go more)
18. Outdoor restaurants (I don't care which one, I love to dine outside)
19. Oklahoma Christian University (where I went to college)
20. St. Olaf (where Erik went to college and where a lot of our early dating memories take place)
21. Flaming Pine Youth Camp
22. The Black Hills
23. Itasca State Park (where we got engaged)
24. Minnehaha Falls
25. Minneapolis (where we bought our first house)
26. Hyatt Hotels (this was my favorite hotel during our interview stays)
27. My kitchen (I feel so rewarded when I am able to put together a good meal for my family)
28. The beach (preferably a tropical beach)

Pictures of the hospital from tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin