Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





10 July 2011

GOD IS GOOD!

Allowing myself to be open, and to express my feelings on the blog about what we're going through in certain situations, has been a rewarding experience for me. I don't do it often because in the past I've had slack from others on filtering what I share, but these past couple of weeks have been one of the hardest times of my life. I felt it was necessary to open up and journal about it, not only so later I can see where we started residency and how God blessed us even in trial, but also as an encouragement for others. Ever since breaking down a few nights ago, questioning our place in life right now, I have had numerous occurrences happen that have helped me understand and take comfort in knowing that God has everything under control.

One of these occurrences happened two days ago when someone walked up and down the apartment balcony/halls, putting fliers in each door for a clothing drive. This morning I noticed that no one had taken the flier out of the door next to us, or directly under us. This is such a blessing for us because that means that I don't have to be so hard on the kids to be so quiet all of the time because no one lives there! Yay! GOD IS GOOD!

Another occurrence happened today when I went to a brunch for resident spouses. As I arrived at one of the biggest and most beautiful hospital campuses in the world, I was reminded at why this was a #1 residency choice for me. The program they have for the spouses is outrageous! I couldn't believe how many activities I could sign up for and how much thought, time, and money has gone into supporting our families through this stage in life. Unbelievable. GOD IS GOOD!

It's hard to believe we've only been here two weeks. I arrived in this new city without knowing hardly anyone and already I feel like I've been so blessed by a group of ED resident wives that get together almost every day and have all been so inviting, supportive, and encouraging. I feel like I've suddenly gained several close friends and that I've known them forever! The best part about it all, they have kids, too! Someone to have girl time with, and someone to have playdates with, and someone who knows exactly what it feels like to be married to a resident. GOD IS GOOD!

5 comments:

  1. I have often wondered how u manage to say so sane on the blog with three kids and a busy busy husband! So glad things are looking up and I'll pray they stay this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! What a good job He's doing in His own time, providing for you and for the kids and for Erik. I totally appreciate that you share your lows. That's real life. And now, look, I get to rejoice with you and thank God for His provision! I also wanted to share with you that in 2 weeks, we're moving from a 3 bedroom, 2 level townhome, about 1900 square feet...to a 2 bedroom, one level detatched garage that's not right with our unit....apartment, less than 1100 square feet! I'm right there with you girl...you keep being thankful. Because God will continue to bless your honest, servant heart. Much love <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara, we're in the same city!!! I'm not sure if you are trying to protect some privacy by not mentioning the name/location, but we are in the same location (I did a little snooping through the U of M web). We need to get the kids together! I will send Eric an email with my email address and then we can plan something!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I'm so proud of you! Keep your chin up and keep smiling. Thanks for sharing... it really is a gift to everyone who loves you. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that God is revealing so many blessings to you! So glad that you are getting more settled and have met so many wonderful people!! I know this is hard, but by being honest and real you will be able to get through it and stay sane! :)

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin