Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





15 July 2011

Summer Perks



One perk of not having to unpack or keep up a house this summer is being able to spend a TON
of time with the

kids. I didn't realize how often I let simple things like laundry, cooking, cleaning, gardening, and even just doing the dishes get in the way of playing with my kids. Since it takes me about 10 minutes to clean the apartment top to bottom, we're eating off of paper plates, and meals have been pretty simple since we don't have a microwave and buy a lot of things pre-made, I have had so much time to play!

I am loving this time with the kids, especially since Maida will be in full time preschool soon. I really can't imagine her going to kindergarten next year! I have pretty much been with her every second of her life since she was born. What am I going to do without her with me 24/7? Anyway, the kids and I have been having some good, quality time together.

Another perk of not having to unpack or keep up a house this summer is having a lot more time
and ambition to get out of the house and explore our new city. Normally, the thought of getting out of the house alone with three kids is silly talk (before moving here, just getting to the grocery store and church once a week was asking a lot!). Every day we plan something different to do,
whether it's something simple like going to a new park, discovering the mall, or eating ice cream at a new DQ; or doing something a little more risky like venturing to the next city and discovering a zoo or getting into my bathing suit (believe me, that's risky!) and trying out one of the city pools. Every day is filled with a new adventure! This has been, by far, one of the best summers I have had since the kids were born.

Dear Maida, Skogen, and Klaasen:
I don't care how silly it sounds, you three are of the bestest friends I have ever had. I love you so much and can't imagine being on this journey with anyone else.

Maida, I appreciate your imagination and the way you can make believe with absolutely
nothing! You are constant entertainment for me and your brothers. Today when I told you that one of my friends had a baby yesterday, I laughed so hard when you asked me if it was one of my real friends or one of my pretend friends. :) You are so beautiful, so caring, and so very stubborn. Such a perfect combination for a princess!

Skogen, I love how adventurous you are. Whenever we go to any of the
many parks around, I
hardly see you from the moment we get there, until the moment I call you to leave. You are in constant motion! You are fearless! You are curious! I can't wait to see you in ten years from now, or in 20 years from now! You will be just like your dad - life with you will never be dull.

Klaasen, I love that you are a big boy, now, walking all over the place. However, I also love that you are still my little baby. Your snuggles and kisses make every day worth every second. This summer I have enjoyed introducing you to new things. Today we played in the rain for the first time

ever. When we first went out into the rain, you looked at me like you were upset with me, but once you saw my smile, you knew that it was all okay. You loved waving your hands in the rain, I loved watching your hair curl tighter and tighter!


I love you three so much! I am so honored to be your mommy and so thankful for our summer together.

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet! I'm so glad you're having such a great time here in Rochester. Can't wait to see you and your sweet babies again!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin