Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





06 July 2011

Way Down Low

I'm not going to lie or try to hide it. I'm not going to pretend like everything is perfect or that this is ideal for our family. Just like always, life is full of ups and downs. Sometimes life is way up high, sometimes way down low, and sometimes it's just a little bumpy. Right now for me, life is way down low.



Many times I sit and wonder why all of this has to be happening to us. Why are we getting dealt such bad luck? Why has it worked out for nearly every other resident we know to buy a house and get settled? Why has this whole process seemed to go wrong? What is going to go right? When will we catch a break? Living in such a small space with crazy kids, no TV, no internet, and nothing to do makes you think these crazy thoughts!



We are still without a house. We are with Erik, though, and I can be thankful for that, along with running water and air conditioning! It is getting hard to remember, though, how fortunate we are when this 600 square foot apartment is too cramped for five people or when our air mattress, the only furniture in the place, gets a hole and we are having to sleep on the floor. It is hard to remember when the kids have one box of toys here and these toys got old after the first couple days or when I have to constantly discipline the kids for running and jumping in the apartment because we live on the third floor and I'm worried that we'll annoy the person living under us. I'm so ready to move out and move on.



This chapter in life is becoming a difficult one for me to live, but like all down times in life, they always come up again. I'm encouraged by my kids and how they make the best of such a bad situation. They really aren't even phased at all! What great examples for me to follow. I'm looking forward to better times.

4 comments:

  1. Kara,
    I'm so sorry that you are going through this. We were SO blessed to get to stay here, and I honestly can't imagine how difficult it must be right now to adjust to a new place with three kids and a very busy husband. We had so many fears about selling our house, having our son get used to a new school/meet new friends, etc. etc. and I'm not sure why it worked out for us the way it did. I'm thankful, but at the same time I feel so bad for you guys as I read this...knowing how challenging days can be with three small kids, even in the best of circumstances. I'll be praying that the Lord will bless y'all and encourage you each and every day. Hang in there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're staying positive! Hopefully you guys can find and move into a house soon--I'm sure the 600 sf apt will make you appreciate a new place 10x more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry life is so stressful right now. I'm still praying for a home for you guys, well, a larger home anyway:) When I became a Christian I thought there would only be regular times and great times - like the positive side on a graph. I was soo surprise when life fell below the line and was unpleasant. Sounds kinda dumb now, but I was seriously surprised. Thankfully, the Lord is faithful and He'll carry you through:)Here's lookin' toward better times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara!! On the floor?! This is just plain awful! So so sorry! Yay for no neighbors! (Love that tender mercy!) Are you having any luck finding a home?
    So glad to hear about the ED wives!!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin