Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





24 October 2008

27 Week Ultrasound

Erik has been bugging me to post about our last ultrasound and I have been putting it off! A rainny day welcomed me this morning, so I curled up on the couch during Maida's nap time and finally wrote, so here's what happened...

On Monday morning we had our follow-up ultrasound from the 20 week ultrasound. To refresh your memory, they couldn't find everything they were looking for at the 20 week and so we had to reschedule another one. Erik wasn't able to join me for this ultrasound, but it ended up being okay. Even though I was sad that he couldn't be there to experience seeing our little guy again, I was blessed to have a really nice ultrasound tech and she did a great job of making me feel comfortable and enjoy my time with Skogen.

This ultrasound was at a different hospital than my last one, so it was interesting to compare the two. It was really informational and we had a very clear image to look at. I learned a lot! He's for sure a boy (it's never bad to hear that again - I've had dreams that he's born and "he's" actually a "she"!!). Skogen is weighing 2.4 pounds, which is in the 50th percentile. He is measuring to be 27 weeks, right on, but with an estimated due date of January 18th (another day earlier than our last ultrasound and two days earlier than our first ultrasound, however, the sooner in the pregnancy the ultrasound, the more accurate the dating. So, I'm still planning on around the 20th of January). His belly is the biggest part of his body, measuring at 28 weeks - I remember Maida having a big belly at her ultrasound too! His legs were the smallest part, measuring to be about 26 weeks.

The only concern I had with the ultrasound is that we found out that Skogen is still breech and still hanging out on just the right side of my body. It is strange that he isn't utilizing the whole tummy space. The tech said that with his positioning at this point, she'd probably see me back a little closer to my due date for another ultrasound because they will want to make for sure that he isn't still breech before letting me go ahead and have a vaginal delivery. I have to admit that as Skogen is getting bigger, I'm getting more and more uncomfortable with his head jammed up under my ribs and his legs stuffed under my hip bone. I'm starting to doubt that he'll turn on his own, but I have faith that it can happen. He's got 10 weeks to do it in!

I won't be posting any new pictures of him from the ultrasound because he is actually facing toward my spine, so we weren't able to see his profile. He also got the hiccups in the middle of the ultrasound, which made it hard to get some clear shots and then after the hiccups went away, he went to sleep with his chin tucked under and his head resting on his chest. The tech had me lay on my side to see if we could get him to wake up or at least turn his head, but no luck. She told me that he's stubborn and shy! Instead I found a picture on babycenter.com to give you an idea of what Skogen looks like (just imagine him with his head up at the top!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin