Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





18 March 2009

Hangin' "Tupp"

Last night I was up almost ALL night. It was a tough night, but after three of us got shots yesterday, it was sort of expected! I had to get a MMR shot because when I had Skogen, they did some blood work in the hospital and said that my blood counts were low and that I was susceptible to Rubella and needed the vaccine. I had put it off for two months because I hate needles, but yesterday seemed like the perfect time to get it. Maida also got her chicken pox vaccine yesterday, so I went first to show her how to be tough. Maida held my hand and rubbed my leg as I blinked back tears and tried not to pass out. Maida went after me. She sat up on the table like a champ and hardly flinched when she got her shot, then showed us her muscles and said, "tupp," which means tough - I probably should have had Maida go first to show me how to be "tupp"!!! Skogen finished off our appointment by getting his shots. He didn't even blink or know that he had gotten a shot. Dr. W said that was because his thighs are so big, that he didn't even feel it! Speaking of big, here are his stats: 15 pounds, 14 ounces and 24.5 inches. He was waaaay off the charts for both. He's a big dude! Dr. W told us that there is no healthier way to be at this age than like Skogen, though. We know he's not starving!



A little update on my carpal tunnel... it's still there. It's been nine weeks today and it's no better. We are scheduling cortisone shots in my wrists today. I'll keep you updated on whether they work or not.


A little update on Maida's skin... so many of you have asked and I am planning on doing a post soon on the before and after treatment, but I wanted you all to know that the Molluscum Contagiosum is totally gone! The eczema comes and goes, but we keep it under control with Vanicream and Free and Clear products. Thank you to everyone for your advice and prayers. She's come a long way.


A little update on Erik's thumb... he got a cast on last week, but they casted his thumb in the wrong spot, so he got another cast put on Monday. He's doing alright with it, but it's frustrating not being able to do everything he's used to doing (like play with the kids and shower normally). It will be on for three to six weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:16 AM

    You guys have had a rough week... Skogen is super cute. It looks like Maida is a super big sister. Take care. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:45 AM

    My husband just saw Skogen's stats and said to me 'announcing the first round draft pick for the Minnesota Vikings in the 2030 NFL entry draft Skogen Scharrer, OL, 6'9" 372 lbs.' - lol - he may be one 'big dude' but he is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin