Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





26 March 2009

T-Shirt Baby Sling

Last year when I traveled down south, I bought a Moby Wrap for the trip. It was the best and easiest way to take Maida through the airport and onto the airplane. I absolutely LOVED it. Now that Maida is too big for it, I am able to use it for Skogen, too. I think it's the best way to wear a baby because it's the kind of wrap that can be used for multiple baby wearing positions. It also stays put once you get it on and is really comfortable to wear.

The only problem I have with the Moby wrap is that you have to set your baby down to put it on and it takes a little while to get it all on and together. So, this morning I thought I'd get crafty and make a small sling for when I need to hold Skogen as I'm doing stuff around the house, or if I'm out shopping and want to attach him to me quickly. Here's how I did it...

1. I found an old t-shirt that I hardly wear anymore and that was tight fitting.


2. I cut the top of the shirt off, in a horizontal line, right below the armpits.


3. I tossed the top part of the shirt into the rag bucket and the bottom of my shirt (the tube that went around my torso) became my baby pouch!


4. The sling felt kind of tight at first, but after putting Skogen (an almost 17 pound baby) in it, the material stretched pretty far. It is not as secure as the Moby, and I wouldn't recommend mountain climbing or jumping around with it on, but for those times when I need to quick put him on my hip and go, it will work!

(Sorry for the blurry pictures!)

I got this t-shirt baby sling idea from http://www.chocolatefingerprints.net/ if you want to check it out.

1 comment:

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin