Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





11 March 2009

Best friends in the making

This week has flown by. We have spent most of it trying to get all of our schedules back in order after the time switch. For the most part, Maida and Skogen just naturally adapted, but it was me that really got thrown off. I think that this waking-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night stuff really messes with me! However, Skogen has started sleeping a 5-6 hour stretch every night, which really helps - thank you Babywise!

Here are a few pictures with some quick updates. I will post some pictures later of our weekend with Micah, Erik's best friend who was here visiting us from the cities.


*Playtime*

Reading books and hanging out together on the floor.

*Barkley!*
Barkley! has officially accepted Skogen as a member of the Scharrer family! Yesterday when Skogen was playing on the floor, Barkley! came over and laid his head down on top of him, which I had remembered that Barkley! did that same thing to Maida when she was just a babe. I tried to grab the camera for some pictures, but by the time I got it out and focused, Skogen had kicked Barkley!'s head off of him. I also dug out the old photo of Maida and Barkley!. He's such a great family dog.

Barkley! with Skogen


Barkley! with Maida (June 2007)


*Thrush*
We went through a full round of treating Skogen's thrush, about two weeks ago. Yesterday I noticed that it was back, so I started treating it again. It seems like we just can't get it to go away. I've read that the thrush can make a baby's mouth sensitive, and so sensitive that they won't want to suck. Well, I didn't notice any sensitivity before, but this time around, Skogen has acted a little sensitive to his pacifier, which is hard since he likes to go to sleep with it in his mouth! (The thrush is the white stuff on Skogen's tongue in the picture. It is also on the sides of his mouth and lips - which you can't see in the picture.) I know things could be A LOT worse, but I'm just praying that it goes away soon.

*Erik*
I have been so thankful for Erik lately. I know there will come a day soon (residency!) when I won't be able to depend on Erik for as much as I do, and so I am trying to savor and enjoy every minute with him. He's been a great help lately with the kids, chores around the house, and grocery shopping - thank you, Erik! He also fell on Monday night skiing, hurt his thumb, and after seeing the doctor on Tuesday, has been referred to an Orthopedic doctor on Friday. It isn't broken, but is soooo very painful and swollen that they are worried about ligament damage. Besides being in tons of pain, he has a test tomorrow, so I know he's had quite the week!
The kids with Daddy at bed time

1 comment:

  1. yay for sleep! last night Connor slept from 11pm until 6am and I woke up in shock! I know it's a fluke and won't happen regularly for another few weeks, but I'm right with you, loving Babywise and it's effective approach!!

    glad your kids are loving each other and things are going well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin