Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





01 May 2009

Complex Content

I fear putting too much content on each blog post, as I might lose readers if things get too complex, but this is just one of those posts...

On Wednesday, Erik had his last day of his first two years of medical school. This marks a very special thing as from now on, Erik's time will not be spent in the classroom, but in the hospital doing rotations. I know that he is very excited for this new change, but at the same time, sad not to be in class with the 50-some other students friends that have joined him every day. Wednesday night there was a Farewell Banquet held for the second year medical students that we attended. Erik, being the president of the first and second year class, handed out some awards and also gave a speech. I was able to attend the dinner with Erik, but upon talking to our babysitter right before Erik's speech, Skogen had been screaming and crying (not his usual), so I had to leave. To say that I was devastated that I missed Erik's speech would be an understatement. I was so proud of him and wanted to be there to support him and to smile at him while he was up there. I actually cried all night and all day the next day. It was a hard thing for me to miss... not to mention that I had to walk about a mile *alone* downtown, in the pouring rain and 30 degree temperature, with a knee-high skirt and open toed shoes on, in the dark, to get to our car to get home, all because Erik wouldn't pay $3.00 for parking (gotta love his tight personality!)... but I won't mention that! Erik has done such a great job these past two years balancing medical school, family, intramural sports (he played every one!), volunteer work, church, the Army, and much much more. He is a very talented person and I'm confident that he will make a great doctor someday. I am so honored to be his wife! What did I do to deserve this?!

Erik and his "right-hand-girl," Vice President Sue. They have worked very closely together over the past two years. I know he's sad to not have her around next year.

****

Last night Erik and Maida had a camp fire in our back yard. They even ate dinner out there! This was our first fire of the summer, and maybe our last since we're moving, so I thought that it was worth documenting.

****

As if missing Erik's farewell speech the other night wasn't bad enough, I have to miss his birthday this year, too. He is 28 years old TODAY and left this morning at 3:00am for his Army drill weekend. Before arriving on base, he needed to shave all of his hair off, so he let Maida shave his head last night. She did a great job!

While Erik was in the shower after his hair cut, and I was cleaning up the kitchen, Maida decided to put some of Mommy's makeup on! Why she put it in her hair, I have no idea!
****

To end, I would like to ask for some advice. Skogen's got a rash. I know, I know - he's got Maida's sensitive skin! However, Maida never had this:
I have been thinking that it's just eczema, but there is nothing that will make it better. These pictures don't really show the intensity of it. It's actually on his eyelids, too, and have little raised-up, puss-filled, spots besides the redness and sandpaper feel. I keep Aquaphor on it all the time (hence the greasy pictures). I even wake in the middle of the night to apply more cream. It just keeps getting worse and worse. Anyone have a baby with anything similar? When I'm out in public, people always stare at his face and then give me bad looks. I know that it looks just terrible, like I sunburned my baby's face! Anyway, we are seeing the doctor next week, but thought I'd ask blogland, also, if anyone else has had experience with something like this.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kara! Has he had a fever too? Could it be fifth's disease??? You might check with your doctor (or Erik). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say that it looks like scarlet fever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks just like Logan! His nurses just kept telling me it was cradle cap...he had it all over his face and head, and told me to put head and shoulders on it...it broke out worse. He kept scratching it and waking up with blood under his nails and all over his face and head.
    it was eczema in the long run. I put Elidel (prescription) on it and aquaphor. I also gave him Benadryl because he itched so badly.
    hang in there Skogen, you too Kara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for such kind words, Kara! I love you!!!

    I have one correction to make that I just learned recently from Deda. There aren't "bases" in the Army. I said the same thing to him on the phone because we live near the Air Base in Duluth and he enlightened me. I don't actually know what you're supposed to call them - maybe "Fort" or "Camp" - which is why I always just say the proper name ("Camp Ripley").

    Jenae - Great suggestion! We just had a mock trial at school that was a true case in which an infant was diagnosed with Fifth Disease and then died of a Strep infection! We'll run it by the doc since he certainly has the classic "Slapped-Cheek" malar rash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey everyone! Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I wanted you to know that I just got back from the doctor and she didn't seem concerned about Skogen's face at all. It was so frustrating! This is exactly what happened when Maida's rash got out of hand - our doctor wouldn't listen to us! Anyway, I decided that I'll give it a month and by that time we'll be moving and I'll see a new doctor and get his opinion. Thanks again!!

    Amy, was the Elidel a prescription? Is that the same stuff that you sent us to try on Maida? I should try to find that tube that you sent us and see if it works.

    Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi kara. it's suzie, matt weber's wife. i know i met you at camp a few yrs back. anyway, noah has eczema and we just started seeing an allergist dr. who was voted the "best in denver"... and he deals with severe life threatning allergies (noah has peanut and tree nut allergies)and he also deals with severe skin conditions. i am going to see him again next week and am going to ask him about you little guys condition...and see what he says. he's supposed to be the "big dog" here in colorado and noah's eczema has already cleared up as a result of seeing him 1x. it sounds like a case of eczema to me and maybe an RX will be the only thing to clear it up??? hopefully you've already had some resolution re: this but i'll get back to you and see what our doc says...i see you and erik are on facebook -i'll get back to you ... but email me if want to - wubu915@yahoo.com. -suzie weber

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin