Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





21 May 2009

Last month I had a short blog entry about a baby named Stellan. Stellan is the baby of a fellow Minnesotan, who had a very risky heart ablation, in which Maida, Skogen, and I all wore orange on surgery day to remember to pray for Stellan. I was surprised that not only did the orange remind me to pray for Stellan that day, but it also had complete strangers asking me why we were all wearing orange. That gave me a chance to share the prayer request, and my faith, with others, which was a cool thing to experience. This week one of our local news stations had a follow-up story with baby Stellan's family. If you are interested in watching or reading about the story, the articles are here.

I'm posting these articles, not because I'm an avid reader of MckMama's blog, or because I think everyone needs to hear Stellan's story. I'm posting this article because I think MckMama is a great example of how we can share our faith with others. Talking about God to complete strangers is a hard thing to do, and often a surprise when someone else talks to us about God in public. I think of our good friend Scott, who is going through cancer treatments in Philadelphia, who just wrote last night on his Caring Bridge site, "One of the blessings that Bonita and I have encountered here at CTCA is that PEOPLE TALK ABOUT GOD. Isn't that amazing? They aren't embarrassed to share their faith. We get to see God working every day and being glorified. God is acknowledged here as a part of the healing process. It is refreshing and uplifting!"

It is my prayer that I can get the courage to talk to more people about God - even if it is just one of my siblings, or even one of my best friends - that I can talk about God and not be ashamed, embarrassed, or afraid; and that I can teach my kids to do the same. Just today my friend, Hannah, blogged about her little girl sharing Jesus with one of her friends and it showed me how our children can actually be an encouragement to us! Hannah wrote, "It was a little lesson to me. If only I could be so bold, I could enjoy heaven with more people. No wonder Jesus loves the little children. They are so innocent and pure of heart and have no ulterior motives for what they are doing. They just simply want good for others." That was a lesson to me, too! Go read her post here, it's cute - and encouraging!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh.. I couldn't agree more Kara! I couldn't believe how much listening to Abby ask that convicted me. I want that for myself!
    I can't wait until you move here and we can come and see your house!!!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin