Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





28 July 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

49 minutes ago I was officially closer to 30 years old than 20. Wow.

I got a Roomba for my birthday. Erik surprised me with one a few weeks ago! I had never considered getting one before because I guess I just figured that if I had a robot that did my vacuuming, and I was supposed to be this stay-at-home-supermom, people would realize that maybe I wasn't so "super" and that I was lazy or something. Well, it's turned out to be really nice. "Rosie" (after The Jetson's maid Rosie) vacuums almost every night, sometimes twice, and I never have to worry about laying down a baby on
dog hair for a diaper change. Very awesome birthday present!
I also got a gift card from my thoughtful in-laws, and some money from my sweet parents, so I thought maybe I'd go buy our living room some new curtains! It's so funny that now that we are homeowners, any extra time or extra money - even gift money - goes into the house. Speaking of time, I stepped back today and thought about how much time I'd have on my hands if we hadn't bought a house this year! The hours, alone, that we've just spent in Home Depot dreaming of what we could do to our little place, amazes me. Maida is now even able to recognize the Home Depot sign and will point it out to us while driving down the highway if we pass it. Today I asked her what she wanted to do this afternoon and she said, "Go to Home Depot for a little while."

She also overheard today that it was going to be my birthday and before I tucked her into bed tonight she very seriously and excitedly informed me that tomorrow she is going to make me a cake for my birthday. So thoughtful. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kara! Take some time for you today (I know its hard w/kids) hope you have a WONDERFUL day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I have never heard of a roomba. Crazy! It sounds like it would be nice. Being a home-owner really, really drains your checkbook and your time. We have put soo much time into our place but when it is yours you just don't mind. Their is a sense of pride you know! So- what are your plans for the day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!!! Hope you have a great one! :)

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin