Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





25 July 2009

Season of Contentness

About this time of year I get that craving - the craving for snow.
If I wake up on a chilly summer morning and walk outside, I can almost smell the snow that melted just a couple months before, and it reminds me of how much I love it. I like to look out the windows and imagine what this same place looked like all covered in white. I try to remember what it was like to bundle up in layers every time I stepped out of the door or how it felt to trudge through the snow to the mailbox. As much as I love living in a place where we get to experience all four seasons, I have to admit that I really live here for the winters. There's no place else I'd rather be.
It is my season of contentness.
Along with the cold and snow of the winter I crave so badly, I also crave the quiet time that winter holds. It is so priceless to snuggle up in a down-filled blanket, over a cup of hot cocoa, and watch it snow while reading a good book, daydreaming about the future, or (my favorite) talking to God. There is nothing better than watching the snowflakes dance slowly to the ground, shimmering and shining in the sun, and noticing how God's beauty decorates our world. At times like these I feel and see God's presence everywhere around me.

Even without the glimmering, shimmering white kissing our tree tops and rolling hills, and a hot cup of cocoa, I have still found God's presence at work this summer. Even through the seasons and storms of life, I have seen his glory shine through. God earnestly listens to our prayers and God lovingly answers our prayers, which is why I am listing these people and families here and on the blog, so that you all can help pray for them in these storms - that they will find their season of contentness, something we all yearn for.

* Baby Stellan - 8 month old baby stellan is back in the hospital with SVT. The doctors are puzzled with his case and are experimentally trying different routes and ways to make him
comfortable. His family lives here in Minnesota and I got a chance to meet them last week. Precious, God living, God fearing family. Read Stellan's story here.
* Scott - our good friend Scott has sarcoma and has been living in Philadelphia temporarily with his wife and four young kids for treatments. They are now on their way home and as the tumor has shrunk, more tumors have popped up. Please pray for safe travels and for healing. Scott keeps a daily journal of his life with cancer here. (There is a prayer button on the upper right side of my blog for Scott with the code to add it to your blog, too.)
* Kerry - my cousin who has just recently gone through a divorce, just got his first job as a surgeon, and moved to a new city. There are a lot of other things on his plate right now, besides all of these life changing events, and I pray that comfort, peace, understanding, acceptance, and love will fill his soul again.
* Brandon and Karlie - Erik's brother and his wife. Brandon just decided to go back to school and this decision, as well as the process of applying, including prerequisites and taking the GRE (among other things) have been really stressful on Karlie.

Psalm 34:8
Open your mouth and taste, open your eyes and see—
how good God is.
Blessed are you who run to him.
********

By the way, I just got my husband to serve me a cup of hot cocoa while writing this post. It was the closest thing to winter that I could put my hands on right now! Mmmmmmm ... rich milk chocolate contentness...

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you Kara-- Somedays I just long for winter too. Summer is just soo busy and hectic and winter is so peaceful and relaxing. I actually spend whole days at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisha3:06 PM

    beautifully written kara! you made me really miss winter (even on this wonderful summer day;). my favorite part of winter is after the first few weeks of wrapping up in scarves and big gloves, you get to the point where you just throw on a jacket and go- the best feeling-so freeing! (and happy birthday!)

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin