Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





12 November 2009

German Chocolate Cookies

I've been watching The Biggest Loser and I've learned from the show that I'm an "emotional eater."  I eat when I'm depressed, I eat when I'm sad, I eat when I'm happy, and when I'm excited (I can always find a reason to eat).  I've never posted a recipe before (that's probably because I can't cook), but I made these cookies today and they were MARVELOUS (probably because they are the only cookies I've ever made that are actually edible).  I'm always looking for recipes to use my flax seed meal in and this one is just PERFECT!  I didn't have all of the ingredients and they still turned out.  I'll mark my adjustments and notes in pink.  YUUUUUUUM!  You need to make them...

***GERMAN CHOCOLATE COOKIES***
To make these cookies more healthful use dark baking chocolate.  For a classic German chocolate flavor, use sweet baking chocolate.
Prep: 25 minutes.  Bake: 8 minutes.  Cool: 1 minute.  Oven:  350 degrees.
1/4 cup butter softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar - I didn't have brown sugar!  So I used 3/4 cup white sugar and 3 Tbls. honey.
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 oz. dark or sweet baking chocolate, chopped - I just used 3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup flaked coconut
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted - I didn't have any of these.
chopped pecans, optional (for topping) - I didn't have any of these, either.
flaked coconut, optional (for topping) - This is sooooo yummy toasted on top of the cookies!

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.  Add brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.  Beat until well combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.  Beat in egg and vailla until combined.  Beat in flour.  Stir in rolled oats, flax seed meal, and cocoa powder.  Add in chopped chocolate, coconut, and pecans (dough will be thick, and it doesn't look like it will make very many cookies).
2.  Drop dough by rounded teaspoons (I used very small teaspoons and they really expanded when they baked)  2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets (I used parchment paper).  If desired, sprinkle tops with additional chopped pecans and flaked coconut.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and tops are set (they took a lot longer to bake in my oven!).  Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute.  Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
Makes about 35 cookies.  This is so weird, but my dough made EXACTLY 35 cookies!
Storage:  Store cookies for 2 days at room temperature (there is NO way these cookies are lasting 2 days in our house... Erik is gone tonight - I'm thinking the kids and I are going to eat them for dinner) or freeze for up to 3 months.
Each cookie: 84cal, 4g fat (2g sat. fat), 10mg chol, 45g sodium, 11g carbo, 1g fiber, 2 g protein.  Daily Values:  1% vit A, 1% calcium, 3% iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin