Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





08 December 2009

Growing and Changing

I have been having so much fun with these kids lately.  It seems like they are growing so fast and changing every day.  I have really gotten a kick out of things that Maida says lately.  For example, the other night before going to bed, we read, "Why do Leaves Change Color."  It explained that the leaves die and then don't have the chlorophyll in them anymore so they turn colors.  Apparently Maida had been thinking about it and as she was climbing up to her top bunk to go to sleep, she said, "Mommy, the leaves die, right?" and I said, "Yep, that's what the book told us tonight." and she said, "Well, do they die on the cross or do they die somewhere else, like in the river?"  It was so cute!  (My mom told Maida that she had been raking the dead leaves out of the river.)  I'm also surprised at the things she knows.  Today she surprised Erik and I when she was reading letters upside down on the bag of chips during lunch.

Skogen has surprises for me every day, too.  He's walking more and more and has now started saying some two word phrases like, "hi, dada," and "more, bite."  He's also learned to climb!  He can climb on the windowsill (which he's been doing for a while), up on top of his train or other toys, and just learned to crawl up on Maida's stool at the kitchen table.  I had no idea that he could do this until Maida discovered him up at the table one night, helping himself to some cheerios.  It was very funny to see such a little guy, sitting up at the table all by himself!




Lately I've also been enjoying being a mommy to two, even though sometimes I really struggle with trying to find quality time to spend with both of them.  I often miss the times when it was just Maida and I, because for so long it was just us two, and it was easy for me to get that one-on-one time with her.  I know that giving Maida a sibling was one of the best gifts that we could have ever given to her, though, and I am reminded of this every time I see them interacting and playing together.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin