Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





14 December 2009

One Day at a Time

When I look back on these days, I don't want to just remember the happy times, the fun times, and the seemingly-perfect times. I want to document and remember the sad times, the hard times, and the stressful times. It is in these times that we are often able to learn more about, and grow deeper in, our gratitude for the simple things.


***

Today was a hard day. It was one of those days where nothing really goes wrong, but everything seems to be wrong.
Today contributed to an already hard week. This is one of those weeks where you look ahead to what is to come and wonder how in the world everything is going to get done that needs to be done…
Christmas cards to address and mail… Christmas presents to buy and wrap… our family vacation for 20 people to plan and carry out in a week… our only bathroom under a major remodel, leaving us with no working shower in the house, carpenters all around, and deadlines and city codes to constantly meet… Skogen sensing my small attempts to begin the weaning process, and many tears from a little boy who doesn’t want to accept it… my medical school husband who barely has time to eat, sleep, and work, let alone come home to a me and two kids who want to sing, dance, play, read books, and need help shoveling the snow or fixing the vacuum…

Today life began another whirlwind of craziness and I was a bit overwhelmed at what lied ahead.  However, as I sat quietly tonight and embraced life and what it is at the present moment, I was able to see through these stressful times. I found the simplest things to be thankful for (running water and a flushing toilet), the happiest things to rejoice in (giggling children), and the littlest things to smile about (Maida’s black lips after sharing frozen blueberries with me on the couch as I typed this entry).  Tomorrow is a new day, a new beginning, a fresh start to today, the beginning of the week that started off so stressful. I am so thankful that God knows best and that He generously gives us just one day at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Kara,
    It's so amazing that you posted this blog tonight. I've been chatting with a friend of mine tonight, and we are sharing the same feelings as you! Feeling totally overwhelmed and on our own as mothers and wives...because our amazing husbands are working so hard to provide for their families...but yet we're left to work the rest out on our own.
    You said it best though, we're not on our own! God chose to make blueberries make a mess on Maida's lips so that you could relax a little bit. He chose to let Leah want to play with my hair tonight so that I could relax a bit. He chose to allow you and I and my other friend to experience some of the same feelings and express them at the same time so that the three of us know that we're not alone! Thank you for your honesty. Know that I feel your pain on those harder days when the men aren't available as we need them. Keep your head up and keep serving . You're glorifying God as you mother your sweet babies and are a help mate to your sweet husband.
    Rest well tonight! We get to do it again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that I am not alone! I have stressed over everythin lately too. Dan woks nights SO I tend to EVERYTHING in our home to keep it functioning anf have let myself go... a lot :( It is nice to know I am not the only one! Thanks Kara for helping me remember the little things too!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin