Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





28 May 2010

Recent Doctor Visit

I think it's so funny every time Erik gets embarrassed because it rarely happens. Today after our doctor appointment, I asked him to take some pictures of the kids and me in front of some pretty flowers at the clinic. After much encouragement begging for a self portrait of just us, he finally got in the picture with me and then rushed us to the car so that we could get out of there fast! He was soooooo embarrassed! Even though the picture isn't the greatest, I had to post it for the memory. :)
I love my OB. I really do. Every time I see him, I realize even more how special he is! Today I had a doctor appointment and Erik and the kids were able to join me! It was nice to have Erik there to help me remember what the doctor said and to help watch the kids (who were amazingly well behaved, by the way!). Dr. Griffiths came into the room immediately (never has a doctor been so consistently punctual) wearing some Wrangler jeans with fat-soled cowboy boots, a dress shirt without a tie, and his white coat. He's such a cute old man! Erik said that outfit made him cool. :)
I have gained 30 pounds total this pregnancy, which Dr. Griffiths was totally okay with. He says what usually happens is that the mom's weight plateaus off at this point (let's hope that's true!). His guess (by feeling) is that the baby is 4 1/2 pounds right now, which Erik said is about the size of a 2-liter pop bottle. Dr. Griffiths considered this to be pretty good size for a baby at 31 weeks, but we'll get another ultrasound in a few weeks for a better estimate of size, since I measured 32 weeks on exam.
He still considered me a candidate for a VBAC, which I couldn't stop smiling about, but I feel very comfortable that he will make the safest decision regarding the delivery. We talked about contractions and how Braxton Hicks can be much more painful for third-time moms compared to first-time moms because the uterus is so scarred, particularly after C-sections. I thought it was really cool that he gave me his direct personal pager number and if I start having more consistent contractions with any pattern to them, or have any other concerns, I'm supposed to page him. What Ob/Gyn gives out his personal pager number to his patients?!! I am just so impressed with Dr. Griffiths and love that he has committed so much of his life to medicine (but I will never encourage Erik to practice like that!). I scheduled my next appointment for two weeks from now, so we'll know more then.
We also were able to tour the birthing center while we were there. It was just remodeled and everything looked so nice! After touring there and talking a little bit about the pros and cons of delivering there, compared to the downtown hospital we were considering before, I think we've decided on this one. Two things that make me the happiest about this hospital is (one) they are very VBAC-friendly, and (two) they have a C-section suite just down the hall on the same floor, so if I had to have a C-section, I wouldn't have to be transferred downstairs to the operating room, it would be done right there on the same floor. Everything is falling into place for this birth!!! Baby will be here before we know it, I'm sure.

Some pictures of the kids from last night (can you tell that we got our camera back? :)....


Maida: "It's hard to hold this pose because I'm still pregnant."



As I was in the kitchen, I heard Skogen saying, "Cheeeeeeese," over and over again, so I looked in the living room and found this little clown wanting me to take his picture.


1 comment:

  1. That is awesome Kara! What hospital are you delievering at?? I can't believe it is getting so close. I can't believe my little man is 4 1/2 months already. Time goes way too fast.

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin