Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





11 June 2010

Latest Doctor Appointment

To document today in my VBAC journey (not necessarily for anyone's enjoyment or reading pleasure)...
This afternoon I had a doctor appointment at 33 weeks and 3 days pregnant. :) We started the appointment by listening to the baby, measuring my belly, and taking a guess at the size. Dr. Griffiths said that I'm measuring right on (even though I gained three pounds in the last two weeks!) and he also said that the baby feels average. I said, "Average... as in not big?" and he replied, "Well, average for a big baby," with a big smile on his face. :) He says the baby is about five pounds right now, but that things look promising. I've never asked before, so today I asked him what size of baby he would consider to be too big for me to deliver by VBAC. To my surprise, he told me that if I was thinning out, dilating, and the baby was dropping and progressing like it should, he wouldn't mind letting me try a VBAC, even with a bigger baby. He said that the progression is more important to him than the size, but of course if our ultrasound (that we'll schedule for about three weeks from now) indicates that our baby is in the nine/nine-plus pound range, then he may start to question our VBAC plan. Ideally, he says I would be able to keep the baby in the eight-ish pound range, however, he also informed me that statistically third babies are the biggest. I told Dr. Griffiths about all the downward pressure that I've been feeling lately and he grabbed onto the baby's head and said, "That's because the baby has it's head resting on your pubic bone!" He said that that is okay for now, but if it gets stuck there, that's when we'll have problems. It's my job to get that baby's head to drop down into my pelvis, not just hangout on the bone. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me! :) All-in-all, a good appointment. Dr. Griffiths never fails to let me down. He is an AMAZING doctor.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! your doctor sounds amazing. and best of all, either way it goes, you get a sweet new baby:) i finally bought a side-sleeper today. it feels so good to have it set up and really start "preparing" for our baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisha, my doctor is SOOOOOO great! I can't believe that I found him. I feel so blessed!

    Your side sleeper sounds like a good plan for your small apartment. I never used a side sleeper, but had lots of friends that did.

    Yay for finding a name! We did, too, but we're not telling anyone, either. It's funner that way! :D

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin