Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





17 August 2008

Scharrer,

When I agreed to you going on a trip this summer, I never imagined going this long without talking to you. Third world country… medical work in small villages... no place to stay but a tent… I have no idea what I was thinking it was going to be like, but I guess it wasn’t this. This has been the hardest, longest week of my life! Everything else, besides being away from you, has been perfect. Maida has been great, Barkley!’s been great, the house is great, the Olympics are REALLY great… I just miss you. I miss you so much that I’ve started to have really weird dreams about you.

Last night I had a dream that I was just standing out in the backyard and all of a sudden a huge hand, the size of our van, came and slapped me on the back. It was such a big hand and such a hard slap that I fell over! I turned to see what it was and it was God!! He then talked to me! He said, “Erik just prayed for you.” And that was it. WERID!

Two nights ago I dreamed that you actually emailed me! And it said something along these lines, “Dear Kara, you were so right. There is no way I should have put this trip ahead of going on a family vacation with you. The kids here are great and the medical work is fun, but I miss you guys too much…” Can you tell I’m still bitter about your decision to go? I’ve had numerous other dreams about getting calls or emails from you, and it’s so heart breaking to wake up and realize that they aren’t true!

It’s so interesting to hear all the different reactions of people when they hear that you’re gone, where you are, and for how long. Most people at church, when they found out that you’d left, treated the situation like you had passed away. They’d give me big hugs and say, “Oh, I’m so sorry. Are you doing okay? Are you dealing alright?” People here at home that have known you forever at camp (and just how crazy you are), just shook their heads and said, “Kara, you knew what you were getting into when you married him.” And the response I get from others who don’t really know you (like people on Facebook), but know that you are in the military say, “Oh, is he gone for military reasons?” and when I say “no,” they respond with, “Wow! Then why would he ever want to be gone from you guys that long?” I just keep telling myself it’s only one more week and then four more days and then I will see you! You have no idea how close that sounds to eternity. Please God, make this go by faster!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin