Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





25 August 2008

A Single Mom

Wow- never have I felt like a single mom more than now. Maida is getting more and more demanding every day and it is so hard for me to get anything done, like take a shower! It's hard not having any breaks and being 100% aware of what Maida is doing 100% of the time. I wish that I could just drop her off at a daycare for a few hours so that I could refresh, physically and emotionally! I don't think I really knew what I was getting myself into when I dropped Erik off at the airport to catch his plane to Beijing. I am just so so so worn out.

Erik will be home on Thursday night late or early Friday morning. I'm looking forward to him coming home, yet I know that the minute he walks in the door, we return to our crazy lives again. Erik starts school the day after he gets home (Friday) and along with school comes the homework, student council, and intramurals. I just wish that we'd have a couple days to take a breather. Either that, or Erik could send me on a vacation! (I have come to realize fairly quickly, though, that mom's don't get vacations!)


Erik actually called us on Saturday! It was nice to hear his voice. I think that Maida really enjoyed talking to him too. She kept saying "Dad?" and pointing to the phone and then signing "more" after we had already hung up. She wanted to talk to him again! It's so hard to explain to a one-year-old that her Dad is in another country and we can't just call him up anytime we'd like! I can't even sign that for her to understand!

Erik wrote yesterday also and said that it was snowing when they woke up in the morning! How strange is that?! He said that he didn't believe it at first! Wow, what an amazing experience he's been having over there. Don't you just wish we all could have joined him?!!!!!!

I don't have any pictures from Mongolia, but here are some pictures from last summer when Erik went to Nicaragua to do medical work. (Yes, he's been able to get away every summer! He's one lucky guy, especially since last year he left me right after I had Maida!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin