Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





20 April 2009

He Leadeth Me

When Maida was a little baby, anytime she got fussy, we would play "He Leadeth Me" by Acapella. This was the only song, and sometimes the only thing, that would calm her down. When she was around a year old, we lost the CD with the song on it, but Erik and I have sung it to her every so often over the past year. I have no idea if she ever remembers having such a liking to that song or not, but tonight I was putting Maida down to bed and before she falls asleep at night, I always sit on the floor with her on my lap and we pray. Then she gets in her bed, I cover her up, and she goes to sleep. Well, tonight when I was putting her to bed, something so cute happened. Here is how it went...

Mommy: Maida, come sit on my lap and let's say your prayers.
Maida: No, Mommy, no! Sing me song!
Mommy: Sing you a song? What song should I sing?
Maida: He Lead me.

I couldn't believe it. For one, she's never asked me to sing her a song before, and for two, I had no idea that she remembered that song! The cutest thing was that she sang along with me on the chorus, "he lead me, he lead me, by he han, he lead me....."

To hear a little bit of Maida's favorite version of "He Leadeth Me" click here. It is the second song on the list. Click the play button to the left of the title to hear it.

3 comments:

  1. That's amazing! I love this story...that's the song I sing to our kids every night before they go to sleep. Ever since they were newborn, that's our tune. We were looking for a congregation when we moved here, and when the song leader led that song, I knew it was our new home! What a special song. Maida sounds like a smart one! I love moments like that because now you know that she knows that phrase, "He leadeth me." Even if she doesn't really get it right now, she know's it's truth, and that will always be with her. Isn't it amazing what calms our babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious little doll Maida is--and what a sweet story of the words that have been written on her little heart! Our song has been Amazing Grace--we no longer sing it at night but everytime it is led at church both of the kids yawn really big--I know it is in there somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing about your family's favorite song, too. I'm glad that you guys know what I'm talking about when I say that Maida had this special song. :) It's so neat!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin