Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





20 February 2009

Random Ramblings


Five weeks down.
In one sense it's flown by, but in another it has slowly crept by. I feel like it has taken all of these five weeks to finally settle into a schedule that works for us (which, by the way, still includes us sleeping in until 9:00 every morning - YEAH!). I also feel like I'm finally realizing that Skogen is my baby and I don't have to (nor do I want to!) give him back. That sounds bad, and I don't know if it's the C-sections or what, but it takes a while for me to bond with my babies and realize that they are mine. I will say that this time around was a lot easier than the first, though! I'm looking forward to the next five weeks and hope that along with it comes more energy. I'm usually just drained in the mornings and have a hard time showering and trying to dry my hair or put make up on. I don't even remember when the last time was when I plucked my eyebrows or shaved my legs! I have this longing to be beautiful again, but have no idea how to get to that point. I've just let myself go for so long...

Blogworld.
Some people read books, the newspaper, or magazines, but I read blogs. There is something so intriguing about a true life story, unfolding as it's really happening. Lately I've been really inspired and intrigued by Harper's blog because Harper is a little baby who was born two days after Skogen! But unlike Skogen, Harper was not born healthy and her parents spent 20 days in the NICU with her. She came home recently - the Lord did wonders in her little life. Stories like that make me realize just how blessed I have been and remind me how thankful I need to be.

My scar.
I looked at my scar last night for the first time in about two weeks and I was surprised to see how good it looks! Just a month ago I was complaining about how ugly my scar was compared to the first C-section, but turns out that what I was seeing was just the glue that they used to glue me together! Now after all the glue has worn off, it looks great! Today I go to see the OB who did my surgery so that she can make sure the incision looks like it's healing normally. I also plan to ask her about how my uterus looked when she was in there! I know that the more C-sections you have, the more scar tissue builds up, which makes it harder for a future placenta to attach to the uterine wall. I'm not sure if I want more kids, but I don't want to be limited. :)

Dinner date.
Last night Erik, Maida, Skogen, and I went to Perkins for dinner! Thank you to the Esko clan who gave us a gift certificate and coupons there!!! We had a great dinner and it ended up working out well since we didn't have water (again!) so it would have been hard to make dinner. Maida was very well behaved and ate a great dinner! I think that she was just glad to be out of the house. Skogen slept most of the time, which was okay. Erik and I used dinner to discuss our future life plans. I've come to realize that medical school is so stressful - and I'm not just talking about the homework or the amount of material you have to memorize and know - I'm talking about the decisions you have to make, like what kind of doctor to be. This is a hard decision for Erik because I know that he wants to choose a profession that allows him to have some family life too (if that's even possible when you're a doctor!). We've gotten some good advice lately from two different people that I wanted to write down so that we don't forget...
- Erik's advisor told him yesterday that when his kids were young, he didn't only miss out on his children's lives, but his children missed out on having a dad. I think it's easy for us to think about sacrificing our time with our kids, but when we do that, we are also sacrificing their time with us.
- At the movie "Fireproof" the other night, a dad that was there who has grown kids told me to make sure and savor each moment with my kids because the time goes by so fast. He said that he often wishes that he could just close his eyes and go back to when his kids were young, to just remember what it was like for one second. He had tears in his eyes when telling me this, which made what he was saying mean even more.

Maida Raine.
Yesterday I changed Maida's room around while she was playing in the living room. She came in shortly after I had finished and said, "Ohhhh, a new room!" So funny! Lately Maida has had trouble wetting the bed at night. I tried some pull-ups, but she got an awful rash from them. I don't really want to go back to diapers, but I'm sick of washing the bedding! Does anyone know of any pull-up-type-things that are fragrance free that are easily bought at Target or Walmart?

1 comment:

  1. Kara,
    You might try Seventh Generation diapers. You can't get them at Target or Walmart but you can get them at diapers.com and they are currently having 5$ off your first order. They are chlorine free, hypo-allergenic and unscented.

    Or you could always go the cloth diaper route...

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin