Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





08 August 2009

After looking at about 45 houses in three days, the house we finally bought was not my favorite house or my first choice. Several of the houses that I really liked were sold out right under us or ended up not accepting our loan type. At the time it seemed like such a bummer to receive the news that we couldn't purchase a house that we really wanted, but now that I look back, I can see that God was working in the whole process. I know this because after our neighborhood block party on Tuesday night, I'm confident that we live in the best neighborhood in the best city (I'll also admit the the house isn't all that bad either!).

We were able to meet a good majority of the neighbors at the party and found out that we have some couples our age living really close! We were also able to find some kids for Maida to have playdates with, and maybe some potential babysitters.

Some of the events of the evening included:

-a pot luck picnic-

-Bingo (which I won the very first game of!)-

-paper airplane flying contest-

-shoe kicking contest-

-water balloon toss (Erik and I got second place)-

-parachute games-

-fireworks-

-tattoos-

-toys for the kids to take home-

-a visit from the chief of police and mayor-

-a firetruck for the kids to sit in and climb on-

-a police car for the kids to look at and play in-

-and lots of music and laughter-

We had the best time.

On a completely separate note, I think I'm finally realizing what a sponge kids are. It is amazing how much Maida can learn in a day. She takes in all that she can.
The other night Maida didn't want to go to bed and was kicking and screaming, "No, I don't wanna go to bed."
Erik sat down with her and told her that Jesus' Father requested that He do something that He didn't want to do (die on the cross), and that He said to His Father, "Dad, I really really don't want to do that, but if you tell me to, then I will."
He then got the Bible out and read her Luke 22:42.
So, tonight Erik was gone studying and I told Maida that it was time to get ready for bed. She whined a little bit and said, "I don't want to go to bed."
I told her that sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to do.
She then told me, "Mommy, I really really don't want to go to bed, but Jesus told his daddy that I don't want to, but then he went to bed."
SO CUTE.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, i'm seriously crying. You're right. Our kids are such sponges!! What a sweet heart Maida has. And what a good Daddy for telling her the WHY and the WHERE in those examples. And good job you for recording this story. I'm blessed because of it, Maida will read this someday, so will Skogen. And Erik must feel blessed to have a wife that appreciates his leadership and fathering skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Ryan is desperate to move back up north. How fun would it be to live near each other?! I'd love our kids to get to play together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of your nice comments, Amy - and I would LOVE it if you guys moved up here! That would be GREAT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect neighborhood! How fun!! I would love to have a community like that! Glad that God brought you where you need to be!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin