Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





11 October 2011

Homemade Activity Table

After getting some inspiration from a sensory table that my sister-in-law, Karlie, and our Deda built, I decided I'd try to make my own.
Karlie and my adorable sweet niece, Kinley, and their sensory table.

So, this summer while we were up north, my sister-in-law, Nancy, and my dad helped me make an activity table for the kids. First we visited the local thrift store and bought a coffee table. I then bought three plastic tubs and we cut three holes in the table that were a little smaller than the tops of the tubs.
I let Maida and Skogen paint the table with my mom and dad's left over paint and then we dropped the tubs in.
I then filled one with oatmeal flakes, one with white rice, and the other with toys to play in the oatmeal and rice with. The kids LOVED it!
Even my eleven year old niece and nephew had a blast.
We have had numerous playdates around this table and it is the perfect height for everyone. I'm also glad that it is so long because we can fit a whole bunch of kids around it comfortably. I am also glad that I went with three small tubs instead of one or two bigger ones. It's fun to be able to fill them with different things at the same time and it also helps to be able to have a tub for each of the kids when they are fighting over things and we need to divide up. Besides the oatmeal and rice, we've also filled it with sand and water, too. I can't wait to try shaving cream, glitter, jello, spaghetti noodles, and other fun things to play in.


8 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I love these kids of tables, but what a great way to make one with out going broke! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryla, it only cost me $15 to make! The kids play with this for HOURS. Soooooo worth the $15!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I hope it's okay that I just pinned it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara-you're so famous! I was just looking at pinterest right before I read your blog and there was a picture of your table on it! Weird...
    Also, the table is great. We had a rice bin at our house that I maybe ended up throwing out because I was tired of finding rice EVERYWHERE! Maybe someday if we have a garage I'll be a nice mom again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I'm having problems leaving comments. Love this idea and am kicking myself for getting rid of our coffee table last spring. Love the pics on your blog of the kids. Adorable. (I usually read in reader so I hadn't seen the changes to your page if they've been here a while). You need to post this idea on one of Jenae's Saturday Link Ups. Lots of good ideas there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenae, totally okay that you pinned it. :) Glad you liked the idea. I feel bad taking the credit, though, because my sister-in-law was the inspiration!

    Sarah, so glad that you got to be a part of my fame! Ha! And I know what you mean by rice EVERYWHERE! I started putting a tarp underneath so that I can collect most of the rice that falls and put it back into the tubs. I have lids for the tubs, so I'm able to close them up when I'm not there supervising, which helps, too.

    Wendy, I read all my blogs in Reader, too, so I hardly even notice changes, also! Thanks for the compliments! I've been trying to learn how to take pictures with my new camera! Hey, maybe if Kim finds out that you're wanting a table, she might find one at a garage sale (I'm remembering back to a post of yours about her finding you things you needed at a garage sale!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I am here, thanks to the power that is Pinterest! Whoo haa! I love this idea, from the re-use to the involvement to the ideas for filling the tubs! Yay for brilliant ideas!!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin