Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





05 October 2011

A New Life

It's 11:10 on a Wednesday night and I am enjoying complete silence, snuggled under a brown furry blanket, on my new leather love seat, searching Pinterest, under the soft glow of the lamp in the corner of the living room. This time is so significant and special because for the first time in over four years, I finally have some time to myself to do whatever I want to do.

Last month I decided the kids needed a new schedule and part of this schedule entailed going to bed at 8 every night. I didn't like the sound of this at first because I really happen to like sleeping in, in the mornings. However, since most mornings we attend preschool, Bible study, or church, anyway, I figured we all might as well learn to get up earlier. It took about a week for the kids to adjust to the new bedtime (which of course effected their wake up time), but now my new plan is working amazingly! I get the kids in bed by 8:30, the kitchen cleaned and the house picked up by 9:00, and then I have a few hours to do my own thing. I've started reading again, sewing, discovering new internet sites (like Pinterest!), and writing letters. I can even go to bed if I want to or watch a movie! If Erik just happens to be at home, we get lots of good talking time or enjoy TV together before bed.

I am so thankful to discover "me" again and find new (and old) interests, too. I'm learning that waking up by 8 every morning isn't so bad, either, and that coffee does wonders in the middle of the afternoon when I'm dragging. This new life is so refreshing and great that I'm starting to wonder if I really want that fourth baby that I've been begging Erik for...

4 comments:

  1. So glad you're getting to enjoy some YOU time with 3 kiddo's!!! :) I think that's really important, as a mom, to keep your hobbies and interests alive--but definitely hard to do! Glad you got your dog back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog yesterday and wanted to know what pinterest was... I am now obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that magical time after bedtime!!! Judah is an early riser so the babies go to bed around 7:30 here which is pretty awesome! I'm glad you are getting some time to yourself...you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for a fourth!!!!! Months 0-3you'll have time with just you and the baby after the bigs go to bed, and by 4-ish months, you'll have that 8 PM bedtime back for the baby....just sayin' :)

    I definitely crave that time to myself too, it's necessary for my mama-sanity!

    Glad to hear you all are settling in to a new season and new routine.

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin