Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





27 October 2011

Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Coconut Frosting

Today I baked these sweet things...

They were SO easy and SO good and SO perfect for Fall!

Have you heard of mixing a cake mix with a can of pumpkin to create yummy, moist muffins? On several blogs that I follow, I have seen this idea. It looked really easy, and I had a can of pumpkin left over from last year, so I thought I'd give it a go.
What you do is mix one can of pumpkin (15 ounce size) with the powder mix of a yellow cake mix and then pour in a muffin pan and bake! That is it! I was a little concerned about there not being any liquid of any sort in there, but the more you mix the two, you can see it coming together in to a beautiful, fluffy batter. You bake them at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. I baked mine to 25 minutes because I filled the cups pretty full. I didn't have any muffin papers, so I just sprayed the pan. I also didn't have a yellow cake mix, so I used a white one. Next time I make them, I will make sure I use a yellow one because I think it would have tasted better. I was able to get 16 muffins.

The frosting I found on this blog and I absolutely LOVE it. It's a very easy recipe...
Ingredients:
8 ounce cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
shredded coconut (optional)

Directions:
Beat the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add the vanilla and the powdered sugar. Continue beating until creamy.

I frosted the muffins as soon as they cooled and had plenty of frosting (Skogen and I dipped a cut up apple in the leftover frosting and it was soooooooooo good!). I was hesitant about the coconut, but ended up sprinkling it on the top and I'm so glad I did!

Fall yummy-ness!


4 comments:

  1. My friend told me about this recipe cause she knows I bake with pumpkin a lot in the fall! She used a spice cake mix & pumpkin & said it was yummy. I bought the spice cake mix but just haven't made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melody, I am such a dork... I had a spice cake mix sitting right by the white cake mix in the pantry! HA! I can imagine that would be even better than the yellow cake mix! YUM! I can't wait to try it, now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even like pumpkin, but had Kent pick some up at the store last night after reading your post. Very yummy, especially the frosting! I posted and linked to your blog at http://mealmorsels.blogspot.com/2011/10/fall-treats.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMmm. These look awesome. I use the Pillsbury pumpkin bread mix (blue box)and follow the muffin instructions.It's easy and delicious, too. Thanks for the coconut idea!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin