Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





24 September 2008

The Nesting Instinct


"Around the fifth month of pregnancy, the "nesting" instinct can set in. This is an uncontrollable urge to clean one's house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world." (To read more of this article on the nesting instinct, click here: Pregnancy Weekly)

I've been hit with it again this pregnancy, yet this time around it seems to be worse! I CAN'T STOP CLEANING!!! It's not only cleaning, but it's reorganizing and reorganizing and reorganizing. I was in denial that I was being affected by the nesting instinct until yesterday when I realized that I've been cleaning and reorganizing for weeks, but yet nothing seems to be betting clean! I'm obsessively going at it, non-stop, even if I just went at it the week before. (And you know it's serious when I start skipping my afternoon nap!)
For the past few days I've been busily going through all of Maida's clothes that are too small for her and picking out the clothes that look like they could go for a boy. I was so surprised to see how many outfits Maida really had when she was younger (and I'm hoping that Brandon and Karlie have a girl - whenever they decide to give Maida cousins - because they wouldn't have to buy a thing!). I organized all of the too-small clothes in silver tubs, all labeled with "too small" and the sizes so that they are easier to get to when we need them (whenever that will be, Brandon and Karlie - not to rush you at all ;)!). And I made sure that Erik knows that he has to put them with the labels facing out when he puts them back into the garage so that they will be easier to get to.
Searching for boy stuff, I surprisingly found enough outfits, onesies, and sleepers for Skogen to last us a couple months. His drawers are full! Everything is green or yellow (gender-neutral) but I'm happy with it. I was worried that we wouldn't have anything for the little bear to wear. I seemed to have forgotten that we didn't know Maida was a girl before we had her, so most people gave us green or yellow things, which work perfectly this time around too!

While going through Maida's clothes, I also decided to take out all the clothes that Maida never wore, or that I don't really like, and give them away. We just don't have the room to store things we won't ever use. I came up with almost three garbage bags full of clothes I'm giving away. It feels so good to get rid of this stuff!


I'm getting kind of used to this nesting stuff, and think that if it keeps up until the end of the pregnancy, I'll have one of those really really clean, organized houses that are usually the ones that are featured in home magazines. You know, the ones where you wonder if people really actually live there because it's so clean. And if I finish my house, and Skogie Bear hasn't arrived yet, I'll start on someone else's house! If you'rere interested in hiring me, contact me in December! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I "nested" until I was on my way to the hospital with Zoey. Then she was born less than two hours later, so here's to hoping your house was as peaceful as mine was when I returned home...and to as easy of a delivery!

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin