Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





21 January 2010

Healthy Eating



Erik's been really encouraging me to eat healthy lately and have healthy foods around the house.  I love that he wants us to be healthy, but I'm so confused as to where to start.  First of all, I don't really think that we eat very unhealthy.  We never have candy, cookies, cake, rice crispee bars, chocolate, Little Debbies, Doritoes, Cheetos, or anything like that around.  I try to give the kids at least two fruits and veggies a day, along with some meat.  For snacks we enjoy toast or string cheese.  Do any of you have any suggestions as to where to start with this healthy business?  How do I make our diet more healthy?   Any suggestions for some recipes?

2 comments:

  1. I started by completely cutting out foods with high fructose corn syrup. Next I moved on to switching out white flour for whole wheat flour, and buying whole wheat breads/pastas/tortillas etc...
    I am going to stop buying anything that has sugar added next, but that is a BIG step...I am nervous for that one! Also, if you switch ground beef for ground turkey that is healthier for you and cheaper too! I hope these tips help. It is a big transition, but a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried shopping at Trader Joes? I really like going there b/c I don't have to think so hard. Everything is made from good ingredients- even the snacks. I love their cinnamon kitty crackers:) The prices are lower than the same healthy product at Rainbow. If you bought all your food there, you'd spend more each month, so we do big trips to Rainbow each month and weekly trips to TJs for fresh foods. (They also have really cheap beer which Jason loves! $2.99/six pack)

    It's nice to look around b/c you get good ideas on what to make. They have a big box of organic free range chicken broth (low sodium) for about $2 that has a recipe for mashed potatoes. It's so flavorful, we don't even have to add butter, and it only takes a few minutes to make.

    They have a great website w/recipes.
    http://www.traderjoes.com/index.html

    The store is small (which I LOVE!) and they have stuffed animals that the kids can look for as you shop. I'm not sure how close one is to you, but it might be fun to go once a month for ideas:)

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin