Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





14 February 2010

Happy Valentines Day Weekend!

When I found out that Erik took Saturday off instead of Sunday to go sledding with the young adults from church instead of on a Valentines date with me, I was kinda sad.  However, as always Erik pulled through and gave me an entire Valentines WEEKEND!  It all started on Friday night when he came home from work and took us out to dinner.  Maida got to choose where and she picked Applebees.  We were able to watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics there and then finished watching it after we got home.

On Saturday, I let Erik sleep in until it was time to get up and shovel our driveway!  Our neighbor, Tom, usually snowblows it, but this time he was shoveling it by hand and I felt so bad.  Erik quickly got out of bed and shoveled our driveway so that Tom didn't have to.  We are so thankful that Tom helps us out, though!  What a blessing to never have to worry about plowing ourselves out.  I'm especially thankful since Erik is gone a lot and it would be my responsibility to shovel!

Saturday afternoon, Erik actually babysat!  Skogen was asleep, so I left him with Erik while I ran some errands.  Maida came with me and had to put on makeup and do her hair before going out (Grandma would be proud!)!

Maida helped me pick out some flowers for GiGi (Great-Grandma Viola) at the store for GiGi's birthday, but I was able to pretend that they were mine for a day because we didn't give them to her until Sunday morning.  Aren't they beautiful?!!

Saturday evening we took a trip to Costco where Erik bought me a new rug for my kitchen.  We also ate dinner there (they have really good and cheap pizza and frozen yogurt) and then we all took a trip to Coon Rapids to the YMCA indoor water park.  The water park was actually closed for a chemical treatment when we got there, but we swam in the pool instead.  Erik and Maida sat in the hot tub for a little while, too.  It was so much fun!

Sunday morning Skogen and Maida both woke up with their recently-normal nasty coughs and stuffy noses.  I really would not have brought them to church, but I had made treats for our young adult Bible class and since I worked so hard on them, I decided that I better take them.  (I wouldn't recommend these unless you are DYING to have sugar.  They are too sweet.)

We actually left church early after communion and came home to sleep.  I could tell the kids weren't feeling well and thought that it was the best decision to come home.  However, I had a really hard time leaving because our preacher has such great lessons that I hated to miss out on hearing his today.  As I was walking out with the kids, the only part of the sermon I heard was, "busyness does not feed our soul," and I thought that was a great thought for me to ponder throughout the day and week.  I often make the excuse that I am too busy or too tired to read my Bible or pray - Bruce really spoke to me today.  Skogen slept for two hours after getting home and woke up feeling a lot better.  I asked him to smile at the camera shortly after waking up and he said, "eeeeeeeee," as I snapped this picture, which I think means, "cheese."

Maida slept for three hours and woke up feeling refreshed.  I plan to take the kids back to church tonight for Bible study and dinner.  What a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good Valentine's Day. Good to see you there tonight! I know it has to be hard to get out with the kids by yourself, but Jake is thrilled to have the kids there.

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin