Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





17 February 2010

Kelsey: 2 Mama: 20


You read that right.  

I dominated this little pup.  
I actually had some help from Big Daddy (who really deserves all the credit).
Nothing has been chewed up in almost a week and I am so happy about it.
How did we do it?

The first time I used the muzzle, Erik accused me of not putting it on tight enough (which may as well be), so the next night when we went to work out, Erik put the muzzle on and tightened it up as tight as it could go without strangling her.  He promised me she would not get it off.
Well, we came home, the muzzle was still on, but the house was destroyed.
Erik calmly asked me to take the kids into Maida's room and shut the door (Maida cries if she hears us yelling at the dog).  I took the kids into her room and Erik let Kelsey have it (no, he didn't beat her up, but rubbed her nose in the poopy diapers and told her "NO," and that sort of thing).  He showed her who's boss.  Every other time since, when we've left her home alone, she hasn't chewed or destroyed the house in any way.  She's still wearing the muzzle when we're gone and we're keeping the bedroom doors shut so that the dogs don't jump on the beds or  get into the kids' toys.  Hopefully soon we'll be able to take away the muzzle.

Through this whole process, I've come to realize that dogs are sort of like kids.  They are going to do what they think they can get by with.  Letting them know their boundaries and being consistent are the keys.  It also really helps to reward the good behavior.  When I come home and Kelsey has been a good girl, she gets a reward.  In fact, last week Kelsey got a big reward... a new fluffy bed!



Thank you for all of your doggie-training suggestions.  I had several comments and emails and phone calls with advice!  I really appreciated everyone trying to pitch in and help, and mostly I really appreciated knowing that we're not the only ones with a naughty little dog.  :)

3 comments:

  1. If you haven't already, you need to read the book "Marley and Me." You will totally relate! The movie was great too, but not as good as the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenae, I haven't read that book, yet, but I have been wanting to! Thank you for reminding me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She DID eat an entire bag of M&Ms, though, with the help of Barkley!, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin