Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





06 February 2010

Weekend Fun, Weekend Yum

Last night Erik and I attended the medical school's Winter Ball.  It was a lot of fun!  My friend, Stephanie, did my hair and make up, my mom brought down a semi-formal dress that I wore in college, and then my mom was able to stay with the kids while we were gone.  It was held at the downtown Radison's ball room and it was very nice.  The night was full of lots of friends, meeting new friends, appetizers, drinks, and a dance.  We never danced, but I didn't mind since my feet were killing me in my high heels!  It was so nice to get away with Erik, even though he informed me before we left that it was NOT a date (I was only his sidekick for the night!) because it was all about being social and seeing people we hadn't seen in a while.  I, however, happen to consider anytime we get a babysitter, a date, and enojyed my husband, even with 600 other people around!  We forgot our camera, so we only took one picture when we got home.  Poor Erik couldn't even keep his eyes open!

Early this morning Erik left for his drill weekend.  My mom stayed with us into the afternoon to help with the kids, the laundry, and then I taught her how to play Mahjong on the computer (my all-time favorite game!).  After she left, and Skogen was still taking his afternoon nap, Maida and I made some snow ice cream.  It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good.  I definitely reccommend it, especially if you have ever had those snow cones from the snow cone stand in Edmond, Oklahoma, located in front of the Mardel book store.  [Amber, what flavor did I always used to get?  You'd think that I would be able to remember since we practically got one every day of the entire 2002 summer!  This snow ice cream tasted JUST like the flavor I liked.]  There are a lot of different recipes for snow ice cream, however, I'll give you MY recipe...

KARA'S SNOW ICE CREAM
1.  Get 2.5-3 quarts of clean snow
Cation: using snow that has been snowblowed may result in ice cream that tastes like snowblower exhaust (this was my only mistake).

2.  Mix with 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup sugar.

3.  Stir together while adding some milk (I used whole milk) until you get to the consistency that you like (we made ours more like snow cones, not creamy ice cream)

4.  Dish up, eat, and enjoy!
YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin