Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





10 January 2009

Big Baby Scharrer

I can't believe we're into the single digits on the baby counter now! WOW!

First of all, sorry I am just now updating. You will notice that it's about 3:00 in the morning, but this is really the only computer time that I get lately. I can't sleep because of the carpal tunnel, so instead I sneak into Erik's office and get on his computer!! Which usually works out perfect since he's fast asleep and isn't needing his computer to study.

The ultrasound went well. It is always fun seeing the little guy inside me, all scrunched up and loving his life (at least it appears that way!). The first thing the ultrasound tech said was, "Holy cow, he's got hair!!!" followed by, "Does anyone in your family have curly hair? Cause it looks curly!" After getting to be a model for the hospital's new 4D ultrasound probe (I think that's what they called it) and a training team, which was AWESOME to see, we finally got to calculating baby's weight: 8 pounds 3 ounces. The tech doing the ultrasound told me that she tracks most of her babies when she does ultrasounds at this stage for weight and she's only ever been off a couple of ounces.

My family doctor called me right after the ultrasound to talk. We set up a tentative plan for a c-section, after discussing and ruling out other options. Then it was a long afternoon of talking with Erik about the decisions, two different OB's that we were considering for the surgery, and an OB nurse about the surgery prep. Needless to say, I didn't get around to making computer time or calling very many people to update them. Sorry!

I am very happy with our decision and know that it is still in God's hands because as soon as I got home from the ultrasound, I started having really intense contractions! They lasted every ten minutes all day until evening when I got in the shower. Erik went to the store and got some really spicy salsa and some fresh pineapple that we ate before bed, hoping to further this progression on. The ultrasound tech told me that it appeared Skogen's head was now dropped, so that's a positive thing too. My mom came to town today to help me prepare for the little one and run last minute errands, so tomorrow we plan to walk the mall and maybe that will bring on some more contractions! I plan to try for a natural/vaginal delivery if I go into labor this weekend. If I end up in a c-section, I won't be too disappointed since that's where we're headed soon anyway.

Thank you for the prayers. I couldn't be more thankful for all the comments, emails, and phone calls that I've received recently. You all are so much encouragement to me! THANK YOU!

1 comment:

  1. I have never met you, but I've been acquainted with Erik for years through FPYC and then a couple years at York. I stumbled upon your blog very early in your pregnancy, and enjoyed reading about your introduction to Yoga and your growing interest in natural childbirth. I just came back to check up today. I'm sorry that the baby's size seems to be complicating your plans for a natural delivery, but I'll be praying today that your contractions pick up and you're able to have the natural birth you dreamed and planned for.

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin