Welcome to the Scharrer family's real life story! Most of our story is written for, and about, our four kids and the spice they add to our lives. It's our story of happiness, craziness, and sometimes ridiculousness. We've journaled through childbirth, the terrible two's, private school (and our public school experience), an autism diagnosis, medical school, residency, and long-term mission work in Africa.

Now we're following a new adventure, which involves a 45 foot motorcoach, homeschool, and as many ski slopes as we can go down in one year.

For posts from while we were living in Zimbabwe and updates about our future plans in Zimbabwe, please see our mission blog...

www.ourzimbabwejourney.blogspot.com.





13 January 2009

Surgery Prep

Yesterday we had our surgery prep appointment and got to meet the OB who will be taking a look at my insides! We weren't too impressed with the clinic she works at, but she was very nice and a lot younger than I thought she was going to be! My family doctor had already filled her in about everything and it was so nice to have her already know the whole situation. I, of course, went with my list of 20 questions to ask her and she ended up addressing most of them without me even asking. The biggest and most important question that I had was, "Do you think I am making the right decision by electing a c-section instead of continuing to strive for my VBAC goal?" I didn't even have to ask because within five minutes of meeting her, she said, "I think that you are doing the right thing in your case by having a c-section." I praised her for putting me more at peace with the decision!

One other thing that I was very concerned about was breastfeeding. I was so sure that if I didn't let myself labor for a while before the c-section, that I wouldn't be able to breastfeed because I wouldn't have all the right hormones running through my system to get that started. However, she assured me that breastfeeding has nothing to do with laboring, but it has everything to do with the delivery of the placenta. So, as they deliver my placenta via c-section also, hopefully my body will start producing the hormones needed to breastfeed. The only problem being that I can only take one quick glance at Skogen when he arrives, and then I will be stitched (or stapled!) up and whisked away to recovery for at least an hour (until the spinal wears off). I will be able to hold him for the first time after I leave recovery and so I will try to feed him then too. She said that it may take a little longer for my milk to come in, but I am convinced that it can't be as bad as it started out with trying to feed Maida, so we should be good. I'm sad that I will be missing out on that early bonding time, but again, I tell myself that it can't be as bad as Maida's situation when she was first born, so we should be alright. Erik is planning on going with Skogen while I'm in recovery and helping give him his first bath! I know that Erik will have some good bonding time with his son during these rare first moments. I have instructed Erik to take off his shirt and hold Skogen on his bare skin, what is commonly called "kangaroo care" but Erik felt a little odd about doing that. I hope he does, though.

I really feel like God has been blessing us lately through giving me very intense and strong contractions! It's a funny thing to be thankful for, but I truly believe that the contractions help prepare the baby for his exit. These contractions aren't regular (as in coming in regular time intervals) but they are very strong and intense. We went out on a date last night to Timberlodge Steak House (compliments of a family from church) and all during dinner my belly kept contracting, making it difficult to eat! However, I still managed to stuff down a 7 ounce steak, a pan-fried walleye, garlic mashed potatoes, a few pieces of bread, and a free piece of dessert they gave me because I'm having a baby soon! Anyway, I'm thankful for the contractions I'm having and I hope that they keep coming!

We also made a trip to the hospital last night to see Megan and Dave's new baby! He was born on Sunday night (with a very short labor and delivery... I'm so jealous!!!). Maida loved him right away and enjoyed holding his little hand. We used it as a good opportunity to show Maida what it will be like to have Skogen. We are delivering at the same hospital, so we showed Maida the room and got her familiar with the environment too. We couldn't have asked for better timing!

We'll keep you all updated on Skogen's arrival and all of that good stuff as the time approaches. One thing I forgot to mention above is that my belly is measuring 41 cm, which is supposed to correlate with how many weeks pregnant you are. So my belly is as big as it should be if I was a week over due!!! I must have a big baby in there. :) Thanks again for the encouragement and prayers. I feel so much more at peace about our decision.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:13 PM

    Hey Kara,

    Following you over here from Babycrowd...just checking in to see if there were updates on Skogen's arrival!

    I'm so glad that you're at peace with the decision for a scheduled c-section. That's all that really matters, in the end :) God will provide you with everything that you need.

    And don't worry about him breastfeeding - he will be a natural, boys come BIG and HUNGRY! He'll definitely know his Mama, and it will be like you were never apart.
    I was separated from my first son for 3 hours due to his emergency c/s birth. I didn't nurse him well (too drugged up from general anethesia not to mention whatever cocktail they gave me following the surgery!) for his first 24 hours, and we still went on to have a great breastfeeding relationship, for a year.

    Your worries are all very natural and normal. But you can do this! It is SO much easier the second time around...twice the work, of course, but you'll feel so much more at ease.

    I'm continuing to think about and pray for you to have a safe and healthy delivery, and a smooth transition to a family of FOUR!

    Blessings,

    Beth,
    Mommy of Jacob & Wyatt,
    Michigan

    ReplyDelete

We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and in retrospection.”
~Anais Nin